Application is moved to SD card but files are still in Device Storage?

Zylhent

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new and I came here today and to ask a question that I've been trying to figure out for a while now. I recently got a new Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime and of course, being me, I downloaded a bunch of games that I couldn't play because of my other phone's defect. But from the time that I got my new phone until now I noticed that whenever I press on "move to SD card" on my phone's application manager, it would end only with a checked box saying that it's moved but in reality, its still in the device's memory. I only have about .97gb of free memory in my phone and still having 6.90 free on my SD card, where as there should be around 3gb free in my phone and around 5gb on my Sd card. I don't know what to do anymore, I've tried using several application moving apps but still its the same, nothing happens. even pressing force stop then moving, still the same. I've scoured the internet for solutions but none of them gave me a solution.

Device : Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime
Android Version : Kitkat 4.4.4
SD Card : Toshiba Micro SD SDHC 8Gb 40mb/s

Thank you for your help.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Entire apps cannot be moved to SD. Only part of them, sometimes none. A search of the forum will pull up hundreds of threads on this with plenty of information.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
When you "move an app to the SD card", what you're moving is small portions of the app. And there's a link left in internal storage pointing to the part you moved. (Android looks in internal storage so it needs to find that link to find the piece of the app you moved.) If the pieces are small enough, it takes more internal storage for the links than for the pieces of the app you moved, so you lose internal space. Normally you gain a little, but only a little. Moving a 1GB app might gain you 100MB.

And not all apps that can be moved to the card can run from the card. Many "developers" just drag controls to an app-creator app and, if it does what they want, publish the resultant app. They don't even know to check to see if the app will run from the card. (If it won't - and many won't [most apps "written" using app building apps won't] - they should turn the "Move" button off.) So you move the app and it stops working, or gets buggy.

Don't depend on SD cards to run apps. If you have to run apps you don't have space for, use the card to back up the apps (and their data) you aren't using, so you can uninstall them and restore the apps (and their data) you want to run now - until you can get a phone with more internal storage (or until they come out with eMMC cards with SDXC interfaces, so we can expand the "internal" storage on phones).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2