LG G4 Stuck on Bootloop after software Update

Owenthomas1991

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I recently downloaded and installed the update for my LG G4. The file was sent from the provider, roughly 900mb and boasted of improved applications and battery optimization (Possibly an update to the latest Andriod system - Marshmallow).

After the installation the phone no longer boots past the LG splash page and it continues to loop. I've attempted to enter recovery and safe mode by pressing the power button down while holding the volume up button, releasing and then holding once more however I have had no luck.

Every now and the phone boots all the full way to the home page for a brief second then restarts. I've been able to see brief notification of 'Storage capacity full' pops up before it restarts.

Could the internal storage be full and causing issues? Shouldn't the phone have notified me of the lack of space before the installation?

I'd really like to solve this issue without having to wipe all the data. I recently went on a 3 month trip of Asia and I thought all my pictures were backed up to Google but it only appears half were as Google hasn't been syncing my pictures for the last month of my trip.

Any information how to fix this issue or retreive my pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The early G4's have had many reports of boot looping out of the blue. If yours has a serial starting with 505 through 508, then this could be the case. It's actually a hardware defect, not software related, resulting in a warranty claim. One common last ditch effort that has worked for some people to be able to back up their data is to put the phone in the freezer for about 15 min. Then, while leaving it in the freezer to keep it from heating up, they could get it to boot and allow them to perform their backups.

jewels3000

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
I had the exact same problem last week.
I think my Marshmallow update started automatically and from then on, I was stuck in the boot loop. Through a quick google, I found that this was occurring to G4s with the serial no.505 which is what I have, and as so many people have had this problem, they created a petition for LG to address this and they have accepted that its a hardware fault and will repair for free.
Luckily most of my stuff is backed up but I still had some stuff on the phone. I read about the freezing and it worked - I put my phone and battery in the freezer for about 20mins, this then contracted the loose connection that is causing the problem. It gave me about 10min of use before it switched off but after doing it twice, it was enough for me to get what i needed.
LG then sent a courier within 48hours to collect my phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy