More notification options

mamastoast

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi there. I'm kinda late to the smartphone party, so I only just recently got an androd new enough for me to want to invest time in getting just the way I like it.

So I'm sitting here with a few things I'd like to do, wondering if they're possible, and I thought i might aswell ask more experienced folk about it, since google has let me down.

So, first of all, I'd like to somhow change the notification sounds for each individual app, the reason should be obvious of course, I'd like to know which app is trynig to tell me something from the sound alone.

Secondly I was wondering if I can ask the playstore to tell me when a download is completed, infact, I'd like all apps to tell me that, if possible.

I'm open for apps to allow me to do this, doesn't have to be built into the operating system by default. I'm using an s6, and it's not rooted :)

Hope you fellas can help me out here, would be much appreciated, thanks!

(btw, it sucks adblock pro can't be downloaded from the playstore anymore :(.. hate ads)

Last edited:

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi there. I'm kinda late to the smartphone party, so I only just recently got an androd new enough for me to want to invest time in getting just the way I like it.

So I'm sitting here with a few things I'd like to do, wondering if they're possible, and I thought i might aswell ask more experienced folk about it, since google has let me down.

So, first of all, I'd like to somhow change the notification sounds for each individual app, the reason should be obvious of course, I'd like to know which app is trynig to tell me something from the sound alone.

Secondly I was wondering if I can ask the playstore to tell me when a download is completed, infact, I'd like all apps to tell me that, if possible.

I'm open for apps to allow me to do this, doesn't have to be built into the operating system by default. I'm using an s6, and it's rooted :)

Hope you fellas can help me out here, would be much appreciated, thanks!

(btw, it sucks adblock pro can't be downloaded from the playstore anymore :(.. hate ads)

Hi, for changing the notification sound for each app, I think you can only do this for certain apps i.e. messaging apps. For example, I use Hangouts as my default messaging app, it has the Hangouts tone for when a message comes in. I also use whatsapp, which I have set a different tone so I know when a whatsapp message comes in. What other apps would you be looking to have custom notifications for? Within each messaging app it allows me to change the tone.

Your second question, I believe the play store already does it - it creates a notification to inform you that the app is either: downloading / downloaded / updating or updated. Do you not get these notifications?

mamastoast

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
I see. Well, I use the audible app quite a bit (nifty lil thing too) But it doesn't seem to have this feature, or atleast I can't seem to find it. I was also asking for the furture, seeing as the phone is new to me. I've have noticed some apps having the feature built in, but I'd much prefer to manage them all from one window if possible.

And I don't believe I do no. It gives me a notfication when I ask it do start downloading an app fx, but I don't believe it tells me when it's done. But if you believe it's built into the appstore that's good to hear.

That actually leads into another thing I've been wondering, which is where on earth the playstore settings are. On most other apps I have these three dots in the top right corner, but the playstore doesn't have 'em. I was googling around for the answer, and only saw some people say that the dots arent there on phones with a menu button (which I don't believe the s6 has?)

Thanks for the reply btw.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The left end of the search box has the "hamburger menu", tap that and you get a menu on the left, settings is in there.

Each app can have its own notification, if the developer set it up that way. If they didn't, it will use the system default. Gmail will even allow you to set a different sound for each account you have set up.

rasmith1959

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi, for changing the notification sound for each app, I think you can only do this for certain apps i.e. messaging apps. For example, I use Hangouts as my default messaging app, it has the Hangouts tone for when a message comes in. I also use whatsapp, which I have set a different tone so I know when a whatsapp message comes in. What other apps would you be looking to have custom notifications for? Within each messaging app it allows me to change the tone.

Your second question, I believe the play store already does it - it creates a notification to inform you that the app is either: downloading / downloaded / updating or updated. Do you not get these notifications?
You can use a app called lightflow that allows you to customize the sound each app notification makes. Also if your phone has a notification LED this app can control it and allow you to customize the color for each app. Light flow works with a large number of apps so it's a good bet that it will work with the ones you have.

mamastoast

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
I tried lightflow, but it didnt register/see my audible. I did however find another, similar app that could see everythng installed.

Now... here's what's bothering me. I'm having a really hard time getting individual apps to play sounds when i want em to. Even the playstore has basically no options. It is true I get a notifcation when my phone as finished installing app, but it doesn't play a sound, and I don't understand why not.

What I want to be able to do, is ask my phone to download an app, leave it on the table beside me, and thne have it tell me, through sound, that said app is now installed and ready to go. I'd love a similar function for stuff like downloading audible books, but that app doesn't seem to have any options either.

I'm sorry if my tone isn't the politest, but I've been trying to figure this stuff out for an hour now, and I can't get the darn phone to do such a simple task for me :/. I realize the android phones work within a relatively restrained system, but surely these things are possible?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Some things were just not meant to have an audible notification, app updates is one.

You might consider something like Tasker or ITTT (If This Then That, most likely to give you what you need but also needs to be set up), to have an audible alert triggered after something happens. Those might be your only options.

mamastoast

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
While I don't know if it can do exactly what i was looking for, I'd really like to thank you for pointing me in the direction of Tasker. It's excellent and gives me that feeling of control I was needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith