help please with my android tablet and sd card

Sassycat24

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
i recently got a Samsung galaxy tab 4 , it has 8 gb of memory . i recently got a 32 gb micro sd card.
i got the sd card to put the games that take up the most space on. but it says that the sd card is full . but there is hardly anything ( i have installed nothing) on the sd card. and it says that i have 128 mb left to use. its a 32 gb card how can there be no space?
how can i manage what goes on the app ? i dont want a bunch of junk stored on the card.
i would also like to know is there anything i can do about the apps that came with the tablet , it says i have 4 default tablets , but when i go to application manager it shows a bunch of other apps like blurb checkout . i probably wont use half of this , what can i do with it?
i have appmgr 3 installed but its not of much use , other than tell me that over half of my apps can be moved.
this is my first tablet , i have no clue about an micro sd card, and i dont know what is safe to turn off or what. i just literally have no clue .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! SD cards are primarily useful for media storage, not for app installation. Some devices allow you to move a portion of an app to the SD card, but it's usually only a small portion of the app (and some apps don't allow being moved). See this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roid-memory-how-deal-low-memory-warnings.html

If you installed App Mgr III, are you also rooted (i.e., gained superuser access, kind of like jailbreaking an iPhone)? It can't move apps unless the device is rooted.

Sassycat24

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I'm not rooted , I literally just bought the tablet and sd card. I if I go to applications that it says move to sd . And I don't mind if it can move the whole game but I should be able to move more than two games to a 32 gb
Is their an app that I can use for full system maintenance .
I just never had a tablet before , but I should be able to get more than cache files on my SD card .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Check to see if the card is counterfeit, which is unfortunately not uncommon. A counterfeiter takes a small capacity card and programs it to report it's a larger card. You can save data normally until you exceed the actual capacity of the card, after which you either won't have any more room, or the data might become corrupted. Run SD Insight.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it has 4 default tablets. As for bloatware (i.e., preinstalled non-system apps from either Samsung or other 3rd parties), you usually can't uninstall it. The most you can do is to Disable it, by going to the App Manager, selecting the app, and tapping Disable. This prevents the app from opening (and therefore it won't compete with other apps for free RAM), but you won't be able to remove it completely from internal storage.

Sassycat24

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Auto correct , it was supposed to say 4 default apps . When I go to the application manager , all I have is a force stop, Uninstall and turn off .
And when I click turn off it says that the app would affect other apps and it would uninstall . I have a bunch of apps that I'm never going to use . Like maps , talk back , blurb checkout, hangouts .

Sassycat24

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Okay this sd Id thing says that the sd card is invalid . It says
Model - APPSD
size - 34gb
And the manufact date is 7/02

It's a SanDisk that I got off of Amazon.com .
Is there any way to fix this issue .

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. 32GB microoSD cards weren't being made in 2002, so the card is counterfeit. It's probably a 2GB card. That's why so little fits on it.

2. Apps like maps, hangouts, etc., have functions asspociated with them that will be uninstalled if you uninstall the app - other apps use those functions.

3. An app that has the "Move to SD card" button grayed out is an app that won't run from the SD card, so the developer prevents you from moving it, then complaining that it doesn't work. He already knows it won't.

Side note:
You don't "move" an entire app to the card, you move individual pieces of it. For each piece moved, there's a link left in internal storage (because Android looks in internal storage for anything associated with an app - SD cards are for data storage.) If the piece you move is smaller than a link, you used more storage by moving the app to the SD card, you didn't save any. (And a lot of apps have dozens of little pieces that each get moved individually.)

Bottom line - moving apps to the SD card doesn't usually save much internal storage, it just slows the device.

Sassycat24

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Here's what my sister did . She took out the sd card in her phone and had me take out mine.
She put mine in her phone and reformatted it , she played with at bit , then gave it back .
Now my SD card says I have 14mb used and have 31gb free. *shrug*
I was looking through the app store , I'm trying to find something to help me mange my tablet , like tell me how much ram I'm using , maintenance , etc .

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to find something to help me mange my tablet , like tell me how much ram I'm using
This is Android, not Windows - you don't care. (Unused RAM - in Android - is wasted RAM. If you're not using at least 70% at any given time, something's wrong - like you're running a "RAM cleaner" app - which is really a "battery wasting slowdown" app.)

maintenance
About the only maintenance you need to do is delete unneeded files, uninstall unneeded apps, make sure you don't discharge the battery lower than 40% and don't subject the phone to conditions you're not comfortable in - freezing weather, direct sunlight in the summer, inside a car without air conditioning on a hot summer day, etc. (Those last things will destroy a phone.) Also don't get it wet. See Oh, no! My Phone got Wet! now, so you know a) how to prevent it and b) what to do if it gets wet anyway.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree with what Rukbat is saying here. In addition:

it was supposed to say 4 default apps
The default apps are the apps that have been selected to open automatically for certain functions. So, for example, if you have more than one browser, you can select one of them to open up by default whenever you tap a URL link in any other app. This is where you'd want to go if you want to change the default app. So let's say you install Chrome, and want that to be the default browser instead of the Samsung Internet browser. Go to this menu, select that default, and change it to Chrome.

And when I click turn off it says that the app would affect other apps and it would uninstall . I have a bunch of apps that I'm never going to use . Like maps , talk back , blurb checkout, hangouts .
"Turn Off" is Samsung's equivalent of Disable. For system apps or preinstalled bloatware apps that can't be uninstalled, you can Disable them instead, which prevents them from functioning. This will prevent the apps from being opened by the system automatically, which means the app won't compete with other apps for system RAM. Bloatware apps can almost always be Disabled without any significant consequence. You can also Disable most Google apps (but leave Google Play Services alone). If things start acting funny, just go back to the App Manager and re-enable the app.

Here's what my sister did . She took out the sd card in her phone and had me take out mine.
She put mine in her phone and reformatted it , she played with at bit , then gave it back .
Now my SD card says I have 14mb used and have 31gb free. *shrug*
It may say you have 31 GB free, but if you try loading the card up with data, you may still find that after a certain point, it starts giving you problems, because you've probably exceeded the true capacity of the card.

I was looking through the app store , I'm trying to find something to help me mange my tablet , like tell me how much ram I'm using , maintenance , etc .
As Rukbat indicated, it's best for the casual user to let Android do its thing and avoid any kind of maintenance app. Most of these kinds of apps do things that are counterproductive, like killing apps automatically to "free up RAM" (which is not how Android likes to work, as Rukbat mentioned). Killing apps means the system will just reopen the apps (or other apps) again automatically, because it wants RAM to be mostly full. If the maintenance app keeps killing apps, then you set up a vicious cycle that uses up battery and decreases performance.

Sassycat24

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the help . It's a pity about the sd card , but I'll fix that later.
I turned off blurb checkout and youtube.
I will look closely at the apps I want to turn off , like Google play newstand and movies/tv.
But thanks for the help , I think I got the hang of things now .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you mean Peel Smart Remote (WatchON)? I believe that can be disabled without problems. In fact, Peel Smart Remote was recently causing lots of problems after an update, where it was causing phones to freeze if you tapped the remote control icon.

Google Play Newsstand and Movies can be disabled without problem as well.

Sassycat24

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
No the app I'm talking about is called samsung watchon . ( the app looks like the youtube app but it's slightly bigger and it's purple . You might have to look it up , pictures won't load.

Sassycat24

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
No the app I'm talking about is called samsung watchon . ( the app looks like the youtube app but it's slightly bigger and it's purple . You might have to look it up , pictures won't load.

Oh I see , it was called samsung watchon , but then it was changed to peel smart remote . And from what I'm finding samsung watchon was shuttered in December 14. So if that's case I can definitely turn it off .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devboilol