ODIN Complete(Write) operation failed, what can I do?

A

AC Question

ODIN Complete(Write) operation failed

I am trying to flash a firmware Android KitKat 4.4.4 My Samsung Galaxy Alpha (SM-G850F) using ODIN. When I start flashing, it all looks alright but when it looks like it's almost finished, it says
<ID:0/003> FAIL!
<ID:0/003>
<ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!!!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: ODIN Complete(Write) operation failed

I don't see any Kitkat firmware specifically for United Kingdom on Sammobile. Am I missing it?

You can't just flash any firmware you find on Sammobile ... even if it's for the same phone. The country can make a difference depending on how they set up their firmware. Sometimes it works, but normally it takes some hacking.

Are you trying to downgrade from Lollipop? I don't know about international phones, but most US phones can't be downgraded anymore due to carriers locking them up.

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site

No I am not downgrading from Lollipop. My android just died for no reason when the battery has percentage was 0.When I go on Sammobile i search for SM-G850F, after that i choose United Kingdom (H3G), then I choose the second firmware available which is 4.4.4 .If you think it is wrong please send me the right link if you can. Thank you

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

No I am not downgrading from Lollipop. My android just died for no reason when the battery has percentage was 0.When I go on Sammobile i search for SM-G850F, after that i choose United Kingdom (H3G), then I choose the second firmware available which is 4.4.4 .If you think it is wrong please send me the right link if you can. Thank you
OK, now I see it. It should be the correct firmware.

What condition is the phone in right now? Does it do anything at all? Will it power up to the Home screen or can you not turn it on? Can you get to the recovery mode? If you can't turn it on, try pressing and holding the power button for at least 30 seconds. I'm hoping you've fully charged the battery.

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site

Hi Nahoku sorry for answering late. I can get my phone into recovery mode using the volume down, home button and power button. When I just try to turn it on using just the power button, it says 'Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again.' And yes the battery is fully charged. As you said if it's the wrong firmware please send me the link to the right firmware if you can, I would be very thankful. Thank you.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Make sure your data connection is stable and decent. The firmware you downloaded could have become corrupted. I've seen it happen several times. Also you could try the 4.4.4. version right before the latest version that's listed on SamMobile.com .

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site

I have tried the 4.4.4 version but it is saying the same thing. But I haven't tried the latest version, do you think I should try it?

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site

I have tried flashing Lollipop and KitKat now but still no use. Somebody please send me the link of the right firmware. Thank you.

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

AFAIK you cant roll back from lollipop to Kit Kat so you will need to use 5.0.1. I suggest you use the UL unbranded fw (BTU)

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

What I'm hoping is that the original firmware wasn't actually overwritten... although it may have been. Try this... pull your battery and leave it out for about 10 seconds. Put the battery back in, and get into recovery mode. Select to wipe the cache partition, then restart the phone. See if it will boot up to normal mode.

Somebody please send me the link of the right firmware.
We can only go by the information you supplied. According to what you said, you are using the correct firmware.

Also you could try the 4.4.4. version right before the latest version that's listed on SamMobile.com .
Have you tried what AlphaTango414 has suggested? Besides trying the previous release, re-download the firmware for the latest release in case it's corrupted. Also, use the cable that came with the phone and connect it to the back of the computer (motherboard connector) rather than using a USB extension on the front. The rear connector supplies cleaner power.

I'm running out of ideas because the phone isn't right in front of me. Odin can cough sometimes, but normally will do the task. I've also seen corrupted firmware downloads many times. Have you tried using Kies to install the firmware? I've never used Kies, but it might be good to try... that is if you can get it to run on your computer.

EDIT... By the way, I meant to ask, what procedure are you using with Odin. Do you have a link that shows how you're flashing?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2016
Visit site

When I connect the phone to Kies it just says connecting but doesn't do anything. I've tried many firmwares now but still nothing. I use ODIN v3.10.6 and to flash the phone I choose the AP button and choose the firmware. I have Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time option cheked but not the repartition. After that I start but when it looks like it's about to finish, still says the same problem. Do you think I need to have a PIT File by any chance??

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Looks like you're flashing correctly. I was most interested if you had repartition checked or not.

Do you think I need to have a PIT File by any chance??
It's possible. I did a quick search and found THIS thread. The guy was experiencing a bricked phone and was able to flash after he found the pit file. Link to pit file is in the thread, but HERE it is too.

Nothing to lose at this point! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Ok, but when I have the PIT file, do I need to check the repartition section?
Yes, you do.

However, before you attempt this, make sure of the following.

1) Be sure your USB cable is not plugged into a hub or front of the computer. Plug it into the back of the computer
2) Be sure Kies is not running at the same time as ODIN (if Kies was running when you last flashed with ODIN, I would try flashing again in ODIN making sure Kies is closed)
3) Be sure the battery is at least 80%

You know, flashing the pit file is the last resort. I'm hoping it'll fix your problem, but there's no guarantees!

I would much rather you attempt a few more tries with the older Kitkat 4.4.4 releases for your phone (as AlphaTango414 suggested). It'll take a while for downloading, etc, but would be worth it if you can get it running without going with the pit file. Whatever you choose to do, good luck! I have my fingers crossed!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
It appears the phone is "soft bricked", meaning you can still enter recovery and download mode. I'm not an expert with this kind of stuff but I've actually Odin'ed 3 phones recently and none had issues. One thing you might try is a different version of Odin. I use version 3.09 and HERE is a direct download link. It will download a zip file of Odin 3.09. Give it a try.

I know it's tiring, but it only becomes completely unrecoverable when you give up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21