Switched from iPhone - not getting Group messages

rp17

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi All, I've tried researching this but have been unable to find a solution. I just switched after 8 years with iPhone. I followed the steps I found on android.com/switch, which included turning off iMessage on my iPhone before removing the sim card. I sent a couple of texts to iPhone users to ensure iMessaging had been turned off, and it had.
Now on my new Nexus 5X, I'm receiving individual texts with no problem. However, I'm not receiving Group messages from iPhone users. I started a new Group conversation and they received my message, but I didn't receive any of their replies. Any suggestions?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would ensure your iMessage service is fully disabled by going to the Apple site and sending a text message to your phone to fully disable it.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

After that I would ensure you have Mobile Data enabled as this is required. Also ensure your APN settings are correct. You can test this by sending a picture from someone and having them send one back.

rp17

Feb 18, 2016
Visit site
I think I got it working (for conversations with a few people at least). Almeult, I tried what you suggested in deregistering my number with iMessage, but after I entered my information, it said my number already wasn't registered. The Mobile Data and APN settings were all correct, and I was able to send a picture back and forth. It seems what finally did it is I had to ask the 3 people with whom I regularly have a group conversation going, all to delete their past conversations with me and start a new one. Even though the individual messages were correctly being sent as SMS, their group messages kept wanting to revert to iMessage. It's unfortunate that this was the solution, as none were too happy to delete our chat history and attached images...