Google Voice Typing giving American instead of British spellings, how can I switch this up?

halfbeing

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Google Voice Typing giving American instead of British spellings

I have my input language for Google Voice Typing set to British English, but it insists on typing American spellings, e.g. color instead of colour and apologize instead of apologise. How can I make it use the correct spellings for my language?

I hadn't noticed this problem until today, so maybe it is relatively new. The only thing I can think of that has changed apart from software updates is that I have changed my default input method from Kii to the Samsung keyboard (which I needed to do in order to use my Bluetooth keyboard).

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Google Voice Typing giving American instead of British spellings

Have you tried clearing cache and data for the keyboard that you are using?

I use UK spellings myself but would be perfectly happy with US English, which is after all the dominant version of the language. :)

Posted via the Android Central App

halfbeing

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Re: Google Voice Typing giving American instead of British spellings

A good suggestion, but unfortunately in this case it hasn't worked. I also tried changing my default keyboard back to Kii and accessing voice typing from there, but that didn't work either.

I also disagree that American English is dominant. For instance British English spelling is the standard in the Indian subcontinent. It is also the lingua franca in Europe and people I deal with would think that I was sloppy if I couldn't keep to that standard.

Savannah Software

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Did you ever find a solution to this? Although I live in the U.S., I communicate regularly with my home country, and I need to do so in English, not American.

I have changed every setting I can, yet my Android phone, and my Android Wear watch spells in American. This is so frustrating, and renders voice dictation (and my Android Wear watch) useless to me. Thankfully, my Pebble watch and my Samsung Gear S2 spells correctly.

I can't believe that this is the status quo, and there isn't an uproar about it. I can have it in Afrikaans, Swahili, etc., but I can't have it in English? Worse, the settings are there in the OS, which you carefully set, and Android promptly ignores!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome