Questions before I switch to Android

maybechange

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of taking that major step to change OS's. I'm a current WebOS user and for the most part love it. My biggest issues is that I don't have signal a large part of the time where I live and work (very rural) and...when your phone depends on signal to access the "web" part of WebOS you're kind of out of luck. So...

I'm thinking of switching to Android but have some major questions.

The phones seems to have 8 Gigs of internal. If you add on through expansion SD is the information aggregated into "all memory"? I had a BB for a short time and you had to choose which memory you were selecting from (music, documents, etc). It was a "seperate" memory. which was a real pain.

I also really like the multi-tasking option on WebOS. Does Android allow anything similar?

Also, should I wait for the newer Android phone (thunderbolt) as a replacement to my Palm PRe plus or is the Doird X an acceptable option?

THanks for any opinion.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Any phone running 2.2 (FroYo) will let you install and run apps from SD card (App2sd) - something you couldn't do on BB. It's not available in 2.1, so just look for newer devices running 2.2+.

Android multitasks. It's different than WebOS or BlackBerry (which also multitasks), but you can have multiple apps running at the same time.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
The Droid X is still a great phone but is on 3G. The Thunderbolt is a 4G phone. The Bolt has more Ram, more internal memory, and more external memory with a front facing camera. Its a faster phone but the X is fast also. The X runs on MotoBlurs user interface while the Bolt uses Sense. Also take into consideration that the price for 4G data may go up... as of now we are not sure except for the fact that Verizon will be switching to a tiered data plan. If you can wait until the Bolt is released I would go to Verizon and play with both phones to see which one you like better and fits your needs. You could also go to AT&T and mess with the HTC Inspire... it is very close to what the Thunderbolt will feel like.

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of taking that major step to change OS's. I'm a current WebOS user and for the most part love it. My biggest issues is that I don't have signal a large part of the time where I live and work (very rural) and...when your phone depends on signal to access the "web" part of WebOS you're kind of out of luck. So...
Verizon Wireless

The phones seems to have 8 Gigs of internal. If you add on through expansion SD is the information aggregated into "all memory"? I had a BB for a short time and you had to choose which memory you were selecting from (music, documents, etc). It was a "seperate" memory. which was a real pain.
My old LG Dare was the same way, no the app that is pulling the info pulls from all locations.

I also really like the multi-tasking option on WebOS. Does Android allow anything similar?
Best function about Android is the mulitasking !

Also, should I wait for the newer Android phone (thunderbolt) as a replacement to my Palm PRe plus or is the Doird X an acceptable option?

THanks for any opinion.
The X is a great phone, So is the Droid Incredible, both are selling really cheap as of now. I would say let your funds decide if you want to wait for the Tbolt, which is worth the wait in my opinion

maybechange

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Great! Thanks for those opinions. That's much better than these fluff opinions of which phone to go with. You actually answered the questions.

I primarily use Google apps (which I'd assume Android really performs well with) for email, calendar, contacts, etc. And Evernote, which I think the Android client will allow you to store notes on while out of service area. My WebOS phone would just get hot while trying to load things.

Think I'll definitely look for something in the 2.2 OS whether it's the Bolt or not. And if 2.2 will allow multi-tasking, then I'm on board. I can't think of any reason I wouldn't switch. I'm just a LONG time Palm person.

Thanks again for the real answers.

Cheers.

brandon

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You are in a rural area (as am I) so you might want to consider the DroidX. I have it and it works great (other than the issue I just posted - and I seem to be the only one). Rural areas are always the last places to see network upgrades due to ROI. I'm not expecting 4G around here within the next year at least. Therefore IMHO it doesn't warrant the cost of waiting for the Thunderbolt.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
If you don't mind dropping $250 to $300 (I think the final Thunderbolt price is still unknown), I would get that, just because it's the latest and greatest. If money is tight, I think they just dropped the price on the X to $49. I have the X and will say that it's the best phone I've ever owned.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Also check to see if your area has 4g before getting the Bolt. Then it comes down to front facing camera and RAM. I have a X and I run all sorts of apps with no issue.

maybechange

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
well....My Palm Pre just s*@t itself the other day. I has been destroyed due to a drop. So I'm out of town and got an X to replace it. My verizon rep told me to get one and if the bolt came out within 30 days he'd give me one. So I'm cruising the X and it's pretty cool. Hard to get used to after being with WebOS but I'm liking it a lot. The evenote app is killer which is actually one of the top things for me. So I guess I'm really looking at the whole front facing camera thing as a comparison. I know I won't have 4G...Im doing good just to get 3G. If I can slap a 32 Gig card into it then I'll probably jsut stay with the X if it doesn't piss me off within the next few days.

Thanks again for your input. I REALLY appreciate REAL user input.

Cheers all.