is there a service that lets me store my ripped videos so I can watch on my phone while travelling?

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
is there a service that lets me store my ripped videos so I can watch on my phone while travelling?

(ripped from the DVDs that I own at home)

Do service like DropBox or Google Drive allow me to upload such videos? I will ONLY access the video on my own laptop or smartphone and NOT share with anyone else. (well, maybe with a family member such as my grandfather) With either service allow the videos to be streamed or downloaded?

Thanks!

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Couple of thoughts here...Are your vids copyrighted? That could be a problem. Do you have a paid account with OneDrive or Dropbox? I ask because you will need lots of storage space for videos and the free storage amount may not be sufficient.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I use the RealTimes app for that. Its very universal and plays all kinds of CODECs and compression formats. It works on iOS and Android... so I can stream AVI files on iOS (for example)... something you CAN'T do within iOS on an iPhone. I store and play highly compressed classic TV episodes that way... so I'm not really after the highest clarity, resolution or audio quality. A 22 minute episode is around 80kb (IIRC)... don't quote me on that though, been a long time since I checked.

I have never used it for a high-res DVD rip though.

anon(24178)

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have Plex running at home. You install a small server software that manages your stored rips, downloading metadata for them. You can then stream it locally on many devices or on your phone using their app. You can even customize the bandwidth for when using your phone remotely for performance or data concerns. If you pay for membership, it will even handle converting and downloading the movie or TV show to your device for you.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Couple of thoughts here...Are your vids copyrighted? That could be a problem. Do you have a paid account with OneDrive or Dropbox? I ask because you will need lots of storage space for videos and the free storage amount may not be sufficient.

I own the physical DVDs. However, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to rip them and save them as small 1gb MKV files for my OWN personal use.

I don't mind paying for cloud storage. However, I only want to keep a few videos at a time, so I don't think I need that much storage space. Looking at my video folder, there are currently only 11 videos and they add up to be about 14gb.

I can't really stream them from my computer to my phone while I'm travelling. My upload bandwidth is only 1.5mbps.

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
You asked about streaming vids from the cloud. You can do that. But I would just put the vids on a SD card and play them directly. No streaming involved. If your phone doesn't have a external SD card and you really want to watch stored videos then consider purchasing one that does. Streaming from the cloud may not be satisfactory and may involve buffering. But why not try it anyway. Just upload a vid to the cloud using the free option and see if you can stream it back to your phone without buffering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22