BlackBerry user needs your advice for his next phone.

Wybrem

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

So Whatsapp support is ending for BBOS 10. Now Whatsapp is crucial for my businesses as customers stay in touch with us that way. BBOS 10 is the best OS obviously but sadly it's dying. So I would like some help with the choice of my next phone. I only buy unlocked phones.

Here's what I want:
-A unique phone that nobody has. BlackBerry always makes for a conversation as people wonder they still exist.
-A HUB like BB10. Are there apps to get something similar?
-A device that is secure.

Here's what I don't want:
-Samsung-enhanced-super-duper-bloated-laggy-enhanced-Android-Phones. Or any other phones similar to Samsung's filth.
-A phone everybody already has. I'm unique and innovative, this is not limited to our business.

Here's what I found interesting so far:
BlackBerry PRIV, Google Nexus 6P, HuaWei Mate 8.

PRIV:
+Love the PRIV's design
+Keyboard
+HUB
-Desperately needs an update to Android 6.0, 5.1 is just beyond horrible slow and stutterisch
-BlackBerry's-enhanced-super-duper-bloated-laggy-enhanced-Android
-Useless QHD screen that nukes the battery

Mate 8:
+Great design
+Dual sim slot (can you setup two whatsapp accounts that way?)
+Impressive 4000mah battery
-No keyboard
-No HUB

Nexus 6p:
+For the first time a decent Android experience (it's rather sad that it takes an 2.4ghz octa core to do that)
-Poor design (all nexus devices are awful designed)
-No HUB

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not familiar with the HUB. What does it do that you like so much?

As for the 6P, a lot of people are reporting good battery life. How long do you need the device to last per charge?

Can you also elaborate on the CPU giving a good Android experience?

Last edited:

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Hello!

It takes some getting used to when switching from Blackberry to any other device. I had Blackberry years ago and absolutely loved them but now I'm a big fan of Android.

If you're looking for a unique phone without the bloat I would go with a Nexus device. When people who only like one OS over another see your phone they'll automatically think "Oh, he has a Samsung" to which you can reply with a smile, "No, it's a Nexus" and continue the conversation from there :)

The plus side to a Nexus device is that it's pure vanilla Android when getting it unlocked. You can also customize it to your liking and it always gets the latest Android version in a timely manner.

As far as the HUB is concerned, it looks like BB has an app in the Play Store for that: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../details?id=com.blackberry.hub&token=aPj69KGz
I've never used the HUB app but I might give it a try now that I know it's there.

Wybrem

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to both of you, the HUB is a place where all stuff comes into one place. I need it to last a FULL day, so not 9-5, but 9am-1am. On average I use about 3 hours per day the screen.
I just heard something about Android N, would I be able to install this on the BlackBerry PRIV and still get everything to work properly? I don't know if I trust BlackBerry enough to just wait for Android N or M to roll out for the PRIV. I'm afraid they quit making phones in 2017.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
As far as Android N is concerned; no one can be sure as of right now if the PRIV will get it or not. There's always rooting but that depends on whether or not the rooting community is backing that device.

Wybrem

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
As far as Android N is concerned; no one can be sure as of right now if the PRIV will get it or not. There's always rooting but that depends on whether or not the rooting community is backing that device.

About rooting, can I install an adblock without rooting. I don't want tor root, but I sure as hell don't needs ads in my life.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
About rooting, can I install an adblock without rooting. I don't want tor root, but I sure as hell don't needs ads in my life.
Unfortunately, I don't know of an app that does that without root. Every ROM I've flashed comes with an add blocker pre-installed.

Sorry.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I need it to last a FULL day, so not 9-5, but 9am-1am.
Nearly 18 hours? With 3 of it being SOT? Depending on what you are doing this might be possible. Some will depend on what you are doing with the 3 hours of use. Other things, like cell signal quality, brightness, etc, will have other factors. Checking out any threads for battery life on the 6P might not be a bad idea.

Wybrem

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Adguard if you don't want to root. AdAway and AdFree are better but they require rooted device.
A yes I use adguard on my pc, great than I'll add it to my android when i get one.

Nearly 18 hours? With 3 of it being SOT? Depending on what you are doing this might be possible. Some will depend on what you are doing with the 3 hours of use. Other things, like cell signal quality, brightness, etc, will have other factors. Checking out any threads for battery life on the 6P might not be a bad idea.
Ye I use it to stay in contact with people and email--that's about it. I don't use fancy apps and won't consume media on it. My Classic is as I speak at 25% in the second day--it's 11:51pm now.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

So Whatsapp support is ending for BBOS 10. Now Whatsapp is crucial for my businesses as customers stay in touch with us that way. BBOS 10 is the best OS obviously but sadly it's dying. So I would like some help with the choice of my next phone. I only buy unlocked phones.

Here's what I want:
-A unique phone that nobody has. BlackBerry always makes for a conversation as people wonder they still exist.
-A HUB like BB10. Are there apps to get something similar?
-A device that is secure.

Here's what I don't want:
-Samsung-enhanced-super-duper-bloated-laggy-enhanced-Android-Phones. Or any other phones similar to Samsung's filth.
-A phone everybody already has. I'm unique and innovative, this is not limited to our business.

Here's what I found interesting so far:
BlackBerry PRIV, Google Nexus 6P, HuaWei Mate 8.

PRIV:
+Love the PRIV's design
+Keyboard
+HUB
-Desperately needs an update to Android 6.0, 5.1 is just beyond horrible slow and stutterisch
-BlackBerry's-enhanced-super-duper-bloated-laggy-enhanced-Android

Mate 8:
+Great design
+Dual sim slot (can you setup two whatsapp accounts that way?)
+Impressive 4000mah battery
-No keyboard
-No HUB

Nexus 6p:
+For the first time a decent Android experience (it's rather sad that it takes an 2.4ghz octa core to do that)
-Poor design (all nexus devices are awful designed)
-No HUB

Any suggestions?

I thought you were going to buy an iPhone? I am just curious to why you trash Android and say you're going to get an iPhone and then here we are with a new post saying that you want Android again. Judging by most of your comments you seem to really hate Android phones. You are very critical on every single phone that you seem to mention. Please don't take this as an attack on you I'm just trying to understand your logic.