Disabled automatic restore before factory reset but still seems on afterwords?

A

AC Question

Disabled automatic restore before factory reset but still seems on afterwords

Hi. I've done a factory reset on my phone with Android 5.1 today due to possible malware. I've been told here that I should uncheck the "automatic restore" option in the settings app (via settings>backup & reset) as an added security measure to prevent malicious data from getting back into the phone after the reset. I was also advised, once the reset is finished and the setup has started, to not restore it via my google account but instead set it up as a new device.

However, this doesn't quite seem to have worked correctly. As instructed, I unchecked the automatic restore function before the reset and performed the factory reset till it took me to the setup instructions. I completed the wizard, with the only anomaly being that I skipped logging into my google account. I did this a few moments later instead, by tapping on the google play store app after the setup was completed. But in all these processes, I don't remember ever being asked whether or not I want to restore something via my google account or if I want to set it up as a new device. The only thing I remember being asked was if I wanted to enable backups, which I didn't enable.

I later went to settings>backup & reset to see for myself if the automatic restore feature was turned off or not. Backups were turned off, but the automatic restore option was greyed out, with the switch being in the turned on position.

Now I'm kinda confused, does this mean that the automatic restore option is definitely turned off or not? Did turning off backups automatically turn off the automatic restore, too? Or did the restore process probably go through anyway?
(It didn't automatically re-download all my apps via the Play store once it was set up, so I'm guessing that indicates it didn't automatically restore. I'm not 100% sure about that though.)

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay