Any microusb charger will work right?

Dan C#WN

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Just a quick - probably obvious - question but I thought I'd better check.

I'm going to order a nexus one and the UK/region specific adaptor seemsa little overpriced. I can buy a microUSB charger from amazon (advertised to be compatible with blackberrys or several other devices) for a few pounds including delivery and there's no reason it won't work on the nexus one is there?

Also, as the player comes with a microUSB cable - I can just charge it using that plugged in to my computer or a wall plug with a USB adaptor right?

Thanks again for the help

Dan

raremage

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
You have to make sure the output of the charger is right, otherwise you could damage your phone.

If you're referring just to the cable, then yes, any microUSB to USB cable could be used if you are charging via a computer USB port.

ILoveBlythe

Dec 14, 2009
www.fhtmus.com
Yes. Any micro USB charger will work but as stated you need to make sure that you don't get one that has a very high output. Look at the output mA. I'm using one from my BB that has a slightly higher output than the stock one but works just fine. If you stay in the 400-530mA range you will be fine. I haven't tested one above this but I wouldn't recommend it as it may over heat the device and I'm not exactly sure how the software handles the incoming amperage. Any USB cable will work but not all are the same. With car chargers, I recommend a factory one(there isn't one right now) or one of equal quality. The reason is thy the cheap ones often short out inside and blow fuses in your car. A good one is a BB Storm factory car charger. I personally use a USB adapter so I always have my data cable with me. USB does charge at a slower rate. Around 350mA. So keep that in mind.

Last edited:

mo-bile#AC

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a similar question. I've been using this car charger adapter with my iPhone. It allows a USB cable to be attached to it and then the other end in to the iPhone. Can I just use the usb cable that comes with the N1, plug the usb end in to the car charger and the other in to the N1 and safely charge the N1 in the car?

Dan C#WN

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
Cheers, for the quick and helpful responses.

I got this from the HTC website:

AC Adapter Voltage range/frequency: 100 ~ 240 V AC, 50/60 Hz
DC output: 5V and 1A

Which exactly matches the specification for a USB charger I already have for my MP3 player so all is good :D

Dan

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
If you stay in the 400-530mA range you will be fine.
It's certainly safe but it's going to charge slowly. I'd suggest getting something closer to 1A (especially given the specs in the post right before mine). The device will pull what it needs.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Ive noticed when charging on my computer (macbook), I'd likely kill the computer battery before the phone charges. Wall charging is nice and snappy :) (about an hour on the Hero).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20