Question about flashing new rom when using encryption on a custom rom.

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I am hoping someone can clear this up for me. I know that normally, if you are using encryption and you want to remove it, you have to do a factory reset. However, this is for stock roms with the stock recovery.

I have read that if you are rooted, running a custom rom, and have a custom recovery that in order to remove the encryption, you have to use fastboot via ADB to flash a stock recovery image. So you basically revert back to stock. Is that correct?

If I do this, can I just flash another custom rom via fastboot instead of having to flash a factory rom? I would think I could but everything I read says to flash the stock rom so I am concerned that there may be a reason for this.

Thanks in advance!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I am hoping someone can clear this up for me. I know that normally, if you are using encryption and you want to remove it, you have to do a factory reset. However, this is for stock roms with the stock recovery.

I have read that if you are rooted, running a custom rom, and have a custom recovery that in order to remove the encryption, you have to use fastboot via ADB to flash a stock recovery image. So you basically revert back to stock. Is that correct?

If I do this, can I just flash another custom rom via fastboot instead of having to flash a factory rom? I would think I could but everything I read says to flash the stock rom so I am concerned that there may be a reason for this.

Thanks in advance!

What phone do you have? I would highly suggests checking with that ROM developer to make sure. Every phone is different, and it's best to check with them before you do anything.

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
What phone do you have? I would highly suggests checking with that ROM developer to make sure. Every phone is different, and it's best to check with them before you do anything.

This is actually concerning a couple of devices. A Galaxy S3 and Shield Tablet. Possibly a third if I decide to go custom on my Nexus 7.

I didn't realize the phone could make such a difference. I was thinking there was a set process for this. So I'll try asking the rom dev or in the rom thread on XDA.

Thanks for the response! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke