Note 5 Screen Mirroring Jitter

fourthrail

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
Using screen mirroring with my Note5 and a new SHARP Smart TV, the picture on the TV jitters (stops/starts) every second or two.
Anyone seen this before?

Cheers!

C...

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I never had issues with the Note 5 mirroring on a TV, but then again, I always used a Samsung TV for that. Have you checked your router's settings to make sure it's not blocking traffic or that it's capable of the high-speed transfers needed for mirroring?

If you have a Chromecast, you can try mirroring to that. If that works and mirroring directly to TV doesn't, then it might be an issue with your TV (not necessarily a bad TV, just maybe a non-compatible or one that the Note will not connect to easily).

fourthrail

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
My router is pretty new, and I was able to get this working on the same TV without jitters with an older galaxy S5 a few months ago. The note5 is the replacement for that phone. Any settings on the phone that I might look at? I'd hate to buy a chromecast just to test the problem.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't really know of any settings in the phone that you could try modifying, really. I would try changing the channel your router is transmitting on or checking if the router has a QoS setting so that you can give more priority to the mirroring data. And just for the sake of testing, turn off BlueTooth when mirroring to see if it improves.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Screen mirroring is for Samsung TVs - it's surprising that it works on a Sharp at all. (The communications protocol has to be present on BOTH devices - the phone and the TV. Since it's proprietary, it's only on Samsung devices.) Spend the $30 on Chromecast if you want to use a TV as a phone screen.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If the issue happens on a Chromecast it sounds like you might have a network issue. Make sure your router isn't blocking or throttling any ports or services.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd try first changing the transmission channel (just in case the one you're using is too crowded or 'noisy'). Second, check if there are any QoS settings in your router (this varies by brand and model, so not sure where it would be on yours if any), and if there are, try either turning it off or adding the phone's and TV's IP addresses there to prioritize traffic.

Also, check that your router can handle the high data transfer. I'd say that anything below 10Mbps would be choppy.

fourthrail

Apr 19, 2016
Visit site
When I stream from YouTube to the chromecast, it works properly, so I'm not thinking its a bandwidth or router priority configuration. My daughters android phone has the same problem. Quite frustrating ... hmmmmm .....

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Might not be related, though. When 'casting' to YouTube, your phone isn't actually sending anything to Chromecast. Chromecast just receives the 'command' to load the YouTube app and it streams the content, leaving your phone to act just as a remote control, nothing more.

With screen mirroring, you can have TWO streams of data: One to stream the content to your phone (movie, webpage, etc.) and one to stream your screen content to your device (Chromecast, TV, etc.). This, of course, puts extra-stress on the processor for the phone that now needs to do two heavy tasks at once. Also, it uses more bandwidth from your router to do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool