Google Photos will not back up:

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Ive read numerous issues related to this online but I cant seem to find a concrete solution.
It just hangs at "1 of xxx" photos and doesnt back up...

Any suggestions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Moved this to General Help, since the Android Apps forum is used more to promote apps or for people to ask for suggestions for an app.

Which phone do you have? If you go to Settings>Accounts-Google, is Google Photos Backup switched on there? Does this happen on both wi-fi and mobile data?

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Moved this to General Help, since the Android Apps forum is used more to promote apps or for people to ask for suggestions for an app.

Which phone do you have? If you go to Settings>Accounts-Google, is Google Photos Backup switched on there? Does this happen on both wi-fi and mobile data?

I have an HTC M8.
Yes, the switch is on.
I have it set only to WIFI as I imagine doing it over cellular would eat up all of my data.

I also tried uninstalling the app, but it wouldnt let me!
There are apparently a lot of people with this same problem so I am not surprised here but was hoping that someone had found a slution.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does this happen regardless of the wi-fi network you're on? I'm trying to determine if it's an issue with the Google Photos Backup service itself, or perhaps with your router.

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Does this happen regardless of the wi-fi network you're on? I'm trying to determine if it's an issue with the Google Photos Backup service itself, or perhaps with your router.

Good call.

I tried letting Photos back up (albeit only for a minute or two) over cellular and it immediately started working.
So yes, its likely my wifi.

Any ideas on how to remedy that?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
First, see if you can backup using some other wi-fi, like at your local library or coffeeshop.

Second, reboot your router (by unplugging its power for 10 seconds). If that does nothing, then do you notice other Google services not working well over wi-fi, like the Play Store or Gmail? In that case, try disabling IPv6 in your router settings.

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
First, see if you can backup using some other wi-fi, like at your local library or coffeeshop.

Second, reboot your router (by unplugging its power for 10 seconds). If that does nothing, then do you notice other Google services not working well over wi-fi, like the Play Store or Gmail? In that case, try disabling IPv6 in your router settings.

What is IPv6? (and I honestly have no idea how to get into my router settings)

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Here's an explanation: What is The Difference Between IPv6 and IPv4? - Webopedia.com. Basically, it's the next generation of web addresses. For some unclear reason, sometimes devices have difficulties syncing with Google servers on IPv6, but not IPv4.

Which router do you have? (Brand and model #)

I just got off the phone with Time Warner Cable and we went through my router settings.
IPv6 is already disabled.
So, the tech restored my router to factory settings just in case.
Heres the weird thing-now when I go into Google Photos and turn on sync, absolutely nothing happens.
It used to just hang at say "0 of 300" but now its doing nothing.
I restarted the phone, turned it off and back on and nothings happening...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does this also happen on mobile data? I realize that you may want to preserve your mobile data allotment, but you could still test it out for one or two photos.

You can also consider removing your Google account completely from the phone (in Settings>Accounts​), then adding it back again.

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Does this also happen on mobile data? I realize that you may want to preserve your mobile data allotment, but you could still test it out for one or two photos.

You can also consider removing your Google account completely from the phone (in Settings>Accounts​), then adding it back again.

The moment I switched it to Cellular, the backup started...

Im stumped.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I just realized I had already asked about mobile data.:confused:

Did you try on other wi-fi networks besides your home network?

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I just realized I had already asked about mobile data.:confused:

Did you try on other wi-fi networks besides your home network?

B. Diddy-

I think I found an interim fix (albeit not a perfect solution):
So I turned off my Mobile Data first (to ensure I cant use cellular) and then chose the "Back-UP over WiFi OR Cellular Network option and now its working.

So its backing up right now; wondering if this maybe gets us/you closer to figuring out what the issue is?

Edit: interestingly...it seems to have gotten hung up at "52 of 133".
I may have to just keep starting and starting this process until everything is backed up...in the interim...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm still not sure why that's occurring. If this never happens on other wi-fi networks (like your local Starbucks or public library), then I still think it has something to do with your router.

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm still not sure why that's occurring. If this never happens on other wi-fi networks (like your local Starbucks or public library), then I still think it has something to do with your router.

Its not my router.
There are apparently alot of people with HTC One M8s that are having the same issue. There are quite a few posts about it online.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I hadn't done a search on it. It might be a firmware issue, or some HTC-specific app or feature that's causing interference. That'll be a bit tough to sort out. Sorry, wish I could've been more help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech