[GUIDE] Transcode video to Android. Playback via HTML5 on Edge/3G/Wifi

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Note: I tested this on my LG Optimus V (Virgin Mobile) running 2.2. My phone has a Arm6 cpu so it does not support flash. My area has no 3G coverage, so I needed something very bandwidth efficient in order to work over Edge (terrible 1x connection). I dislike the Official Orb app and alternatives on the marketplace.

1: Install Orb on your PC. You can download it here.
2: Get Orb setup. If you do not have a account then go ahead and create one. Make sure to tell it where your media folders are and remove any of those default folders you do not need.
3: On the Android Market, install Skyfire. Skyfire is great, because it will convert the Adobe Flash video to HTML5. HTML5 uses less resources.
4: Visit "http://mycast.orb.com" on Skyfire and login. You might want to save a bookmark to this location.
5: Click Settings:
  • Check "Ask me each time". Click Save.
  • Click Stream. Check "Flash". Click Save.
  • Optional: Click Layout. For some the "Home Theater" layout is preferred. Try it and see if you like it. Click Save and exit.
30vyvlt.jpg

6: Now you will need to navigate to your media you want to play. I like to click 'Video" and then "Browse Folders" but the Orb interface provides a few ways to find your media.
2rghxrn.jpg

7: Once you have a file you want to play, click on it. You will be taken to a webpage where flash will try to load. You might get a popup asking you to Play. If so, go ahead and click it. This is Skyfire doing it's magic (coverting the Adobe Flash to HTM5). If you do not see the popup, click menu on your phone, then click Video, and Play. It will optimize the video, buffer and begin playing.
dzfplh.jpg
2ihwnso.jpg

Notes: It is very watchable over Edge. The better connection, the better the quality of course (more pixels, higher resolution). If you are getting to much buffering, then try doing a new speed test. You will not be able to fast forward or rewind. You can pause. This is a downfall of transcoding on the fly.

Takenover83

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I have been having problems with it lately. The webpage get's stuck in a redirect loop, or Skyfire get's stuck on analyzing, or skyfire video never pops up, etc... Not sure if Orb is doing something on their end or it's just skyfire, but it used to work great.

Edit: Working ok once again

Last edited: