Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By font1975
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What is a Stock Android?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am a newbie when it comes to Androids and I am trying to learn as much as I can before selecting my very first one.

What does it mean to be called a 'Stock' Android or 'Stock Style'?

I tried to search the forums for an answer, but am not seeing one.

Thanks.

I'm a newbie too but I'll take a stab. I believe it means your phone is just as it is from the factory, not rooted or rom'd.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

So, from things I remember reading, you think it means that the phone is locked and cannot be rooted? I believe I read that Motorola phones are locked.

"Stock Android" generally refers to phones that use the Android system without modification.

Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG; all use their own UI or "skin" on top of Android. They do this to differentiate their phones, but also to add tools and features they think their customers will like.

The carriers also get involved in this and add their own apps, like VCast or VZNavigator (on Verizon). A "stock" device doesn't add anything; the Android you see is as Google intended. No extra apps loaded, no extra things added to the interface.

Now, the truth is, I don't think there are any 100% stock phones; even the Nexus line. (Can't wait to get flamed for that one!). Even the Nexus phones use a modified "launcher"; I don't believe you get the neat cube effect in the base-build of Android. (At least not in the dev tools version).
    Thanked by:
    Arup Ghosh likes this.

Stock android or Vanilla android is when a phone runs android without the manufacturer adding anything to it, like sense or moto blur.
    Thanked by:

Nexus series phones are the closest to stock google OS. I think the Nexus has carrier stuff pre-installed on them but not sure. I only played with a N1 but never a NexusS. Unless the user installed some t-mobile apps, I would not of known but it has some.
    VZW LG G3/Motorola Xoom
    Thanked by:

@RHChan84
    The Nexus phones are considered "stock". There are no carrier apps. My earlier comment was simply meaning that it's not still not Android straight from the source code; it's still customized a bit.

But ask 99.99% of the Android users, and they will call it stock. (Myself included).

Other stock phones I know of:

Original Verizon Droid by Motorola
    Original G1 on T-Mobile
    The G2 can be considered stock, although the wireless tethering was removed at T-Mobile's request.

Again, like "billbo" says, all "stock" means is that no aftermarket stuff was added by the carrier or manufacturer.
    Thanked by:

Then the one I used had t-mobile apps that were downloaded.
    VZW LG G3/Motorola Xoom

To confirm, the Nexus S I bought this weekend had 0 Tmobile stuff on it.

Quote Originally Posted by font1975 View Post
    Again, like "billbo" says, all "stock" means is that no aftermarket stuff was added by the carrier or manufacturer.
    Though, as stated above, it typically refers to the lack of an added UI.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
    Though, as stated above, it typically refers to the lack of an added UI.
    So then you can choose to install your own UI or can you install the manuf's UI still (Sense for example)?

Yes, you can replace the default launcher with any of the ones available in the market. That's what we Android fans love to point out: just about any function of the phone can be replaced with a new app. Don't like the default phone dialer app? Find one you like in the market. Want a lock screen that gives you more options? Yep, there's an .... well, you get the idea

However, the manufacture UIs, like Sense or TouchWiz are not simply "add-ons". When HTC adds Sense to Android, they actually modify the OS itself. So to add Sense, you'll need to root your phone and load a custom ROM that has it. At least that's the way I've seen it done last I checked.

[This is why a lot of Android users prefer the stock OS phones. In theory, if the manufacturer doesn't have to spend a lot of time customizing the OS for each new version of Android, then their phones are updated quicker. In practice, I'm not sure how true this is.]
    Thanked by:

Nexus series is the closest to the stock market Google mobile phone operating system. I think there are things that the carrier's pre-installed on the Nexus of them, but not sure. I only played a N1, but has never been a NexusS. Unless the user has installed a number of T - Mobile application, I do not know, but it also has some.

Buy WoW Gold,Runescape Gold
    Cheap WoW Gold,Buy Runescape Gold