Will verizon force me to take a data plan if i buy a phone off of ebay?

richhh

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so while i'm buying the thunderbolt i need something without a data plan for the second phone on my family plan. I was just gonna go with a cheap feature phone but then i realized that i could get a phone of ebay for cheap. So, i'm looking to buy either an og droid or the lg ally but will verizon make me get a data plan anyway?

dragon718

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
All Smartphones that are activated on Verizon require a data plan and the data plan will be automatically be put on your plan when the phone is activated. No matter where you purchase it from. You best bet is to buy a cheap regular phone and put that on your secondary line

richhh

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
A better question would be why even buy an android phone and not use it for data?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

She wants a smartphone with a nice camera and stuff but she doesn't even have a facebook and $30 a month is way too much for something she'll never use

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
A better question would be why even buy an android phone and not use it for data?
No, it's not. Different people have different needs/wants. That question was old well before Android ever appeared on the market (posted countless times on BB forums over the years).

Besides, data can be obtained via WiFi as well. The carrier's data network isn't the only option. Not to mention, there are plenty of stand-alone uses for Android devices.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
She wants a smartphone with a nice camera and stuff but she doesn't even have a facebook and $30 a month is way too much for something she'll never use

Doesnt verizon have their tierd data plans out already where you get 200mb of data for $15?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Verizon no longer has the tiered data plans you have to have a data plan to run a smartphone no matter where you bought it if it is a smartphone there is a data plan no way to get around it unless you just get a multimedia device and have a 9.99 data plan