Android vs iPhone security

DarkBeer

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I posted this in the Thunderbolt forum earlier, but since it is launch day, it dropped off the front page of thread quickly. Hoping I might be able to get some help in the general forum instead since this is really an OS vs OS question.

I'm still stuck with my BB Storm 9530. Corporate IT was finally allowing Android and iPhone devices for company use as well. Decided I would wait for the TB to come out for my first Android device. Sent my email to the person in charge of ordering phones once the announcement for TB was official. I received a response that Android devices were no longer allowed. We currently have about 5 in the company. When I asked why they aren't allowed, the response was the CFO heard that Android devices were less secure than iPhone devices. The IT department likes the Android devices, but hasn't been able to sway the CFO at this point. This is where I need the AC community to help me out. Can anyone point me to any reports that show that Android devices are as good, or better than iPhone on security issues?

I have read a couple of articles so far that suggest the Apple App store *should* be more secure than the open market for Droid apps, but they go on to point out that the vetting process does not guarantee that all malicious code is caught. Android also gives the user the option to see all privileges an app is requesting where iPhone just grants the same privileges to all.

Help me help the IT department get the Android platform back in play at work. What other items can be used for this argument?

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
All phones have the ability to be "hacked". You just have to becareful what you download.

One thing you can do on Android is download lookout and it scans everything you download from the market.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone point me to any reports that show that Android devices are as good, or better than iPhone on security issues?
Good luck. I think the real problem is going to be addressing how different Android devices can be. iOS is a bit more monolithic which, while generally considered a con, is an advantage in this particular case (i.e. from an IT and corporate policy perspective).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech