Cannot find any app's notifcation setting (4.0.4)

Mogin

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I want to turn off some apps notifications but I cant find where to do this.
I have looked online and on this forum but either my phone is too old and is not covered by any search result, or the settings I read in other Q&A I don't find on my phone.

I have a Motorola Atrix 2 running android 4.0.4

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,
Unfortunately for your particular version of Android there is no 'granular' notification control, so you have to go into each app's settings and disable notifications from there. Now, as to where that setting is, will depend on each app.

Mogin

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I have looked in the apps settings for the apps I want to stop notifications for and I can't find the setting for notifications.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You're getting Notifications from Google Play? What kind of notifications? The only ones that should pop up come from app update notifications (if there are updates available for apps you've downloaded, which you CAN turn off in the Settings). Other than that, Google Play doesn't give out notifications.

If you're seeing ad notifications to download other apps, you might have an app that's pushing those ads to your notification bar. In that case you'd need an Ad Network detector app (Lookout's app usually does the trick, free in Play Store) and it'll tell you which apps are doing it. You can then uninstall the culprits (or live with it if you really need that app).

Mogin

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Its the updates to apps I have. I don't seem to have a settings for the app. Do you know where it is?

I use adblock plus so I don't get ad notifications.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure where exactly it is on the Ice Cream Sandwich version (if it even changes), but if you hit the menu button on your phone (or the 'sandwich' icon on the left of the app if you don't have a button) you should see a SETTINGS option down below. There you should find a NOTIFICATIONS section to turn on/off the options it has to notify you.

Mogin

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry, I thought you meant notifications in my phone's settings.
I have now looked in the play store settings and found the notifications option.

Thanks.

Do you happen to have any recommendations for newer phones?
My phone is hard to use sometimes if I leave it on for a long time without using it. There is often a long delay (several seconds) between me tapping the screen and the phone responding.
This continues for each tap. The only way to get rid of this is to power the phone off and on.

I don't have much need to make calls and so I don't have a cellphone plan.
I use my phone mainly for emails and some web apps. When I need to, I use some apps to make wi-fi calls and I have a mi-fi device for when I must make a call away from a wi-fi hotspot.

Mogin

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Any chance you could be more specific than just "newer".
There are so many phones around, and its difficult to know when they were all released, etc.
Ideally, I would prefer an iPhone. Its just the high cost that stops me from buying one.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Moto Z, I believe is the latest? The Moto G line is also very good and affordable. If you go to Motorola's site you can't miss the latest releases. The Nexus 5 and 6 have both dropped their prices lately and also really good phones, especially the 6.

If you want an iPhone, you can find very good deals on iPhone 5c or the SE (not cheap by any means, though, just cheaper than a 'full fledged' iPhone).

Mogin

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I had a look around at what you mentioned.
I find it hard to warrant spending anything more than $150-175 on a phone, for my purposes. And as much as I do like some of the newer phones, the iPhone and one that I have long desired, the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx HD, it just eats at me to spend the hundreds that these phones go for and to know that in a relatively short period of time, they will become obsolete.

i appreciate you help with my original problem though.

Thanks!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well the Moto G line should be just a tad above your price range, and you might be able to find good deals on 2015 models as well, especially on Nexus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy