What will happen if after moving app to SD card, you take out the SD card or SD card is corrupted?

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
What will happen if after moving app to SD card,

Q1) You take out the SD card,
Will you still be able to access the app? Will the app data be lost if you put back the SD card

Q2) SD card is corrupted,
Will you still be able to access the app? Will the app data be lost if you put back the SD card?

Using Samsung S4

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
An app that is moved to the SD won't function properly if the SD card has been unmounted and removed. Once reinserted, the app will usually start working again (unless you didn't unmount the card before removing it, in which case things might get corrupt).

If the card is corrupted, then the local app data is probably lost, and you'd have to uninstall the app and reinstall it again. If you're able to fix the card using something like chkdsk, then it's possible you won't lose any app data, but that depends on which sectors or files were corrupt.

acsurfer

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
1. After moving app to the SD card, when the SD card is not in the phone, does the phone still display the app icon? What happens if you press the app icon?

2. If I did not unmounted the SD card, but I did switch off the power off the phone before I took out the SD card, will the SD card be spoiled/corrupted?

3. If I have unmounted the SD card, is it ok to take out the SD card while the power is still on?

Thanks

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
The app probably would be grayed out or not show up on phone.
You can remove your SD card with the phone turned off, even if you did not unmount the card first.
You can remove the the SD card with the phone on if you unmount the card first.
When you unmount an SD card all that does is disconnect the power to the card so it will not short out and corrupt the data on the card.
Also, if you did not unmount the SD card first and it was in the middle of writing something on there that's how it could corrupt the data.

Franmartin

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
If you take out the SD card without unmounting it or by simply switching off the power, chances are that your card, may get corrupt.
You can check with the phone settings about the location of your App. If its in the SD card, your app may not get executed. Although you can then try to fix your corrupt card.

anon(9983233)

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Test Check the SD Card For Corruptions:

Connect The SD Card To An Applcable Card Reader > Connect To Your Computer > Select/Right Click The Card From The File Management Option Screen > Command Prompt > Type: chkdsk > Enter

Last edited: