weirdest thing ever... screen dimmers prevent app install?

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Was just browsing around tonight, about why an app wouldn't let Me install it, when I had unknown sources allowed...

It was my freakin screen dimmer!! For some insane reason, screen dimmers prevent things from updating... That's also what had me having problems regetting the app store to work having disabled it and it went back to factory... Didn't work till I disabled the dimmer.

Why on earth is that a thing?? I SBT figure out any good reason for it...

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I recall seeing this a while ago, where screen dimming apps would prevent the user from being able to press the Install button when installing or updating Amazon Appstore apps. But are you saying it also prevents Play Store apps from updating automatically? Or is it also just preventing you from pressing the Install or Update button there?

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site
In this case last night, I was looking to allow the play store and play services to update, to be able to use the store... But they wouldn't do their auto updating until my screen dimmer was off, and they wouldn't work until at least the store auto updated versions...

I was trying something with an app called root app delete... It was trying to install a little test app which I could then try to freeze and then resume, but that install button wasn't a button, within the actual system not thru the store.

Sure enough, when I was googling around I happened to try it again without the dimmer... Sure enough doesn't it just install with no issues at all...

Crazy. So weird that it's a thing.

So all the trouble I was having with the play store, or getting something not from the play store to install, was down to a screen dimmer!!

It still just baffles my mind, the 2 seem completely unrelated. Why do updates or installs care how dark I want to keep my screen?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Many screen dimmers aren't actually changing the brightness, but are instead using a virtual window tinting of sorts to mimic a reduced brightness. Due to security risks, these screen overlays prevent some app installs. It's technically possible an overlay could read what you're doing, so newer versions of Android made this change. After you install and run the app in question without the overlay on, there should be an option to allow use with it on. It's been a while since I've dealt with this, so I don't remember the exact order of steps.

Either way, this is an OS level change and not really anything you can do to bypass it all together that I'm aware of.

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I love the dimmer at night though, it's perfect for laying in bed with nothing else on. Even minimum brightness is too bright in that setting.

So, do installers think it's something other than a dimmer, like a popup of sorts from another app? Or do they dislike the actual dimmers?

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Why are you running a 3rd party screen dimmer in the first place? I have found the auto-dim function built into Android to be spot on. One of its best features actually.

Any of those redundant 3rd party apps should be used with caution.... RAM manager, battery boost, memory boost...etc. Those things exist for the sole purpose of collecting usage data and feedback to the developer. Thats how they generate their revenue. Hopefully its just some app permissions conflicting. Try uninstalling the dimmer app or at least turning off its permissions. Theres no need for a screen dimmer to have all the permissions activated.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I love the dimmer at night though, it's perfect for laying in bed with nothing else on. Even minimum brightness is too bright in that setting.

So, do installers think it's something other than a dimmer, like a popup of sorts from another app? Or do they dislike the actual dimmers?

Technically, it's probably more that they want to make sure it's not malware trying to disguise itself as a legit app than not liking dimmers in general.

Dimmers do have some useful purposes. If it's pure dark, even the dimmest stock setting can be too bright for me. So I do keep one on my phone just in case.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Many screen dimmers aren't actually changing the brightness, but are instead using a virtual window tinting of sorts to mimic a reduced brightness. Due to security risks, these screen overlays prevent some app installs. It's technically possible an overlay could read what you're doing, so newer versions of Android made this change. After you install and run the app in question without the overlay on, there should be an option to allow use with it on. It's been a while since I've dealt with this, so I don't remember the exact order of steps.

Either way, this is an OS level change and not really anything you can do to bypass it all together that I'm aware of.

Great explanation! I never knew this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo