GMail on phone not showing notifications (number of new mails)

SteelSteve

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
So I'm still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of Android after about 10 years of having Windows phones. One thing I've been unable to figure out so far is the gmail icon on my phone doesn't show new mail. I have my live account also configured and that mail icon show me the number of unread mail. Does gmail not do this or have not configured something?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So I'm still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of Android after about 10 years of having Windows phones. One thing I've been unable to figure out so far is the gmail icon on my phone doesn't show new mail. I have my live account also configured and that mail icon show me the number of unread mail. Does gmail not do this or have not configured something?
You need to add a widget to the home screen in order to have the number of unread emails. The stock Gmail app doesn't include a widget, so you'll need to find one in the Play Store. Here's one widget that will work: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ellevsoft.unreadgmailbadgefree&token=zHa_gNQb

There are others which offer different features, so take a look and see if that's what you are looking for.