Once they stop updating your phone. .

DaManx22

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
And the latest versions of apps you use are no longer compatible with your device what do you do? I'm still using a note 2 and the thing is fully capable of doing anything I want it to do and the only issue is what I've stated above.
I was thinking about gettng a Nexus because from what I understood they get lifetime updates but now that I've done some research I see they are only guaranteed updates for 2 years.
If by denying updates to fully functional phones after a couple years is Googles way of forcing people to spend their money and buy a new phone I will do what I vowed I would never do, I will buy an IPhone and tell Google where to stick their operating system. I absolutely hate crApple but work with people that have had their Iphones for a lot longer than 2 or 3 years and they're still getting updates.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That's two years of major updates, 3 years of security updates and the OS and apps will still work for quite awhile after that. There are very few apps out there that require Android Nougat, or even Marshmallow to run. Most apps that I'm seeing released require Android 4.1 or higher to run. That's Jelly Bean, and the OS that your Note 2 launched on in 2012. So 4 years later, your phone should support most apps and since I believe the Note 2 was updated to Kit Kat, which is 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 which launched in 2013 - 3 OS updates later, that means you'll probably be ok at least another year or two before most apps start requiring 5.1 or higher.

Translate that to the Nexus Marlin later this year. Launches on Nougat, it'll get Oreo, it'll get Peeps in 2018. Then it'll be security updated until around Q3 or Q4 of 2019, when Android Q launches. By the prior example of current apps requiring 4.1 or higher, let's say Google goes nuts and starts updating that by a year each year - so next year 4.4, then it's 5.1, the year after that 6.0, the year after that 7.0, etc. We can also refer to Android P as Android 9.0. Android 9.0 should be at or above the minimum OS requirement until at least 2022, based on how things are progressing. Are there things on a 2016 phone that won't be up to date in 2022? Yep. But most apps will probably function.

All that said, I don't think anyone should keep phones for 6 years at a time. Updating as frequently as I do is probably not cool either, I'm sure there is a balance, but with Google giving 4 to 6 years of travel for the majority of apps to work - keeping devices for 1 to 4 years is probably pretty reasonable. That's probably the limit IMO.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Ummm, iPhones are also limited to 2-year support, I believe. Even less sometimes with some updates. Apps, on the other hand, are different and those might still be functional in older phones (and yes, especially iPhones because it's an easier platform to code for given the fewer OS variations VS fully-customizable Android). I think you should be re-directing your anger at the app dev for the apps that aren't getting support anymore, although for phones that old, it's really not cost-effective to do so.

UPDATE: OK, not two years for iOS, but two 'generations'. iOS 10, for instance, will only come to iPhones 6 and 5 (original and 'S' versions). iPhone 4's and prior are out.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Also with hardware changes and technology changes, it can matter. I know my sister's original iPhone and her iPhone 4 isn't going to make an LTE call or get a fast data connection any time soon.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

DaManx22

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
All that said, I don't think anyone should keep phones for 6 years at a time. Updating as frequently as I do is probably not cool either, I'm sure there is a balance, but with Google giving 4 to 6 years of travel for the majority of apps to work - keeping devices for 1 to 4 years is probably pretty reasonable. That's probably the limit IMO.

Why would you say people shouldn't keep a phone for 6 years at a time? Some people that buy a phone outright are paying $700-$800 off contract and that equates to $200 a year if they only keep it for 4.If a phone is fully functional and does what the person wants it to do there is no reason to buy another IMO. I'm sure most people that frequent this forum would disagree but I'm also sure the majority of smartphone users don't feel the need to upgrade once a year..Bottom line is a phone is a phone, I do use mine for GPS apps,camera,texting,internet and email but that's all I need it for. I have a desktop and laptop at work and then another laptop at home so I really don't need another computer in my pocket. I also couldn't care less about new selling points they come out with like iris and fingerprint scanners, those things are cool but does anyone REALLY need them? A guy I work with has had his Iphone for 10 years and as far as I know has zero issues with any apps. I am having issues with a GPS app not being compatible with my device and I figure if this app isn't available others can't be far behind.

I think it is possible to erase all updates on an app you have installed but is it possible to go back just one update?

Last edited:

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Why would you say people shouldn't keep a phone for 6 years at a time? If a phone is fully functional and does what the person wants it to do there is no reason to buy another IMO. I'm sure most people that frequent this forum would disagree but I'm also sure the majority of smartphone users don't feel the need to upgrade once a year..Bottom line is a phone is a phone, I do use mine for GPS apps,camera,texting,internet and email but that's all I need it for. I have a desktop and laptop at work and then another laptop at home so I really don't need another computer in my pocket too. I also couldn't care less about new selling points they come out with like iris and fingerprint scanners, those things are cool but does anyone REALLY need them? A guy I work with has had his Iphone for 10 years and as far as I know has zero issues with any apps. I am having issues with a GPS app not being compatible with my device and I figure if this app isn't available others can't be far behind.

I think it is possible to erase all updates on an app you have installed but is it possible to go back just one update?
My phone is my most used computer. More so than my laptop and my tablet is only for media in the bedroom.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
A guy I work with has had his Iphone for 10 years and as far as I know has zero issues with any apps.

I hope this isn't true. The first iPhone came out 9 years ago and never supported 3G data, let alone LTE, didn't have GPS, had a terrible camera and can run exactly zero non-native apps that have been updated since 2014 without jailbreak. If your friend has a ten year old phone, the situation is even worse because it'd be a prototype that never worked (in any capacity other than as a music player for music installed via iTunes prior to the end of 2007) since 2008. If your friend has an iPhone 5 and has had it since 2012 or 2013 and he's still happy with it, that's cool and probably fairly common, but it's also the same amount of time you've had the Note 2 and comes with the same issues, limitations and whatnot detailed out above. Within a year or two, it's going to be irrelevant.

The 6 years thing is simple. In the current climate, 6 year old phones are obsolete beyond any normal persons capacity for patience. Think about what the flagship phones were 6 years ago. The HTC Evo. Only worked on Sprint, which is an absolutely terrible network according to today's standards and the device itself possesses absolutely terrible specs by today's standards. It released on Gingerbread, I believe it stayed there permanently and will not run over 95% of the apps in the Google Play Store. The iPhone 3GS was also a contender in 2010, the 4 having not quite been released yet, and it stopped receiving updates nearly 3 years ago as well. T-Mobile's best device was the Google Nexus One, though the Nexus S was announced at the end of 2010. Both phones are absolute garbage by today's standards. But more importantly, they were absolutely garbage by 2012 standards, not just 2016 standards.

Today, recommending any phone for purchase that was manufactured after mid 2015 is just irresponsible, given how quickly the market moves. Especially if one is inclined to keep the phone for more than 2-3 years because you're then purchasing something that is guaranteed to have obsolescence issues prior to the end of the intended use period. In about 3 months recommending any device released prior to August of 2016 will be just as irresponsible.

DaManx22

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Today, recommending any phone for purchase that was manufactured after mid 2015 is just irresponsible, given how quickly the market moves. Especially if one is inclined to keep the phone for more than 2-3 years because you're then purchasing something that is guaranteed to have obsolescence issues prior to the end of the intended use period. In about 3 months recommending any device released prior to August of 2016 will be just as irresponsible.

I was looking at used phones and have it narrowed down to the Note5 or Galaxy S6 Edge + for the very reasons you mentioned above, I'm also not the type that likes to be locked into a carrier for 2 years or pay $700 outright. I should have told you not to quote me on my coworkers Iphone being 10 years old, was just going by what I was told !!

I do love the Edge+_

I

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have the Note 5 and I like it. Now if you don't think you will use the spen and if the S6 Edge Plus is cheaper.. Go for that.

Personally I love my spen and use it daily. There are a lot of good spen features in the Note 5.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at used phones and have it narrowed down to the Note5 or Galaxy S6 Edge + for the very reasons you mentioned above, I'm also not the type that likes to be locked into a carrier for 2 years or pay $700 outright. I should have told you not to quote me on my coworkers Iphone being 10 years old, was just going by what I was told !!

I do love the Edge+_

I

Yeah not so concerned with the dates; more so the larger point that somewhere in the 4 to 6 years range, very few, if any, phones really are holding up well from a support standpoint. I buy too many phones, but the oldest one I still have in my possession is 5.5 years old - it doesn't work at all.

DaManx22

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the Note 5 and I like it. Now if you don't think you will use the spen and if the S6 Edge Plus is cheaper.. Go for that.

Personally I love my spen and use it daily. There are a lot of good spen features in the Note 5.

I did get caught up in the hype and preordered my Note2 and do not regret it! I have loved my phone since day one but I think I can live without the pen.

DaManx22

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah not so concerned with the dates; more so the larger point that somewhere in the 4 to 6 years range, very few, if any, phones really are holding up well from a support standpoint. I buy too many phones, but the oldest one I still have in my possession is 5.5 years old - it doesn't work at all.

Can't say I blame companies for wanting to make more $$ and that's obviously why they do it the way they do.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I did get caught up in the hype and preordered my Note2 and do not regret it! I have loved my phone since day one but I think I can live without the pen.
Well I'll tell you this, the Note 5 spen is light years ahead of the Note 2 spen. It is truly a tool that does a lot.

You should look at some information on the features.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
What would the 5.5 year old phone be?

Maybe iPhone 4. Fun fact for this thread, my friend's dad has had an iPhone 4 for years and he recently got an iPhone SE that he enjoys. Now his wife, has the iPhone 4 as her first smartphone and my friend has said that it works just fine for her mom.

It also seems like iOS phones get 4 updates, so I don't think it's too crazy to keep a phone for 4 years. My sister is only replacing her Samsung Galaxy s4 because the battery is finally shot and her phone is just annoying her with issues. She hasn't had any issues installing apps because of her Android version. So on this, I think your mileage may vary as individuals.

I don't know about my incoming Honor 8, but I do know that I will be hanging tight to my iPhone SE until/unless they have another refresh. Three more updates to go for it lol.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Some of this depends on how you use your phone. If you use it only as a phone, you can probably get by longer. I had a very old Android, still on Froyo, it would make calls and text, anything else was maddening.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams