Do I need to reset to factory default when there is a big official update patch like going to 7.0?

greymarketman

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I saw some people in internet said this is the best, but some said it is not necessary except something not working. Some people suggest just wrap the phone cache if something wrong. So what should I do? I have a new update notice in my V10....

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's not required, but suggested. It usually clears up a lot of issues that might arise from a big update (residual files, cached processes, etc.). If you can 'stomach' re-setting up your phone, then a full reset should be the best course of action. If not, try updating first and just clearing the device's cache (not full reset). If you don't see any issues, you're good!

greymarketman

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
It's not required, but suggested. It usually clears up a lot of issues that might arise from a big update (residual files, cached processes, etc.). If you can 'stomach' re-setting up your phone, then a full reset should be the best course of action. If not, try updating first and just clearing the device's cache (not full reset). If you don't see any issues, you're good!
Thx, how to reset all cache?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Almost the same as doing a factory reset. Power down your device, power up in Recovery Mode, select CLEAR CACHE (instead of Wipe Device or Factory Reset).

Oh, and remember, this is done AFTER updating.

greymarketman

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Almost the same as doing a factory reset. Power down your device, power up in Recovery Mode, select CLEAR CACHE (instead of Wipe Device or Factory Reset).

how to go to recovery mode? mine is v10. All programs and photos would not be affected?

greymarketman

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site

Is there different between clear cache in safe mode and normal? I google and know how to get to safe mode.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You need to get to Recovery Mode. Safe Mode will only disable 3rd party apps from launching, but there's no option to clear cache (just to wipe the device) from there. Unfortunately it seems carriers messed up with the way to boot the V10 into recovery, so the 'method' that works most times may not work for you depending on your carrier. See this for more info:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-v10/682256-how-go-into-recovery-mode-lg-v10.html

And yes, as long as you only clear cache, your apps and files should not be affected. Wiping your device will delete all files, so don't do that unless you're all backed up.

greymarketman

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
You need to get to Recovery Mode. Safe Mode will only disable 3rd party apps from launching, but there's no option to clear cache (just to wipe the device) from there. Unfortunately it seems carriers messed up with the way to boot the V10 into recovery, so the 'method' that works most times may not work for you depending on your carrier. See this for more info:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-v10/682256-how-go-into-recovery-mode-lg-v10.html

And yes, as long as you only clear cache, your apps and files should not be affected. Wiping your device will delete all files, so don't do that unless you're all backed up.
I can clear cache in normal setting, this is not as good as doing this in recovery mode?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, that one clears app caches only. The one from recovery clears system and apps, and since no app or part of the OS is running, it's easier to avoid files being 'protected' from a process that might be trying to use it.

Just remember, clearing cache might mean that some apps will take a bit longer to start the first time (not noticeable for most people, though).

greymarketman

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Yup, that one clears app caches only. The one from recovery clears system and apps, and since no app or part of the OS is running, it's easier to avoid files being 'protected' from a process that might be trying to use it.

Just remember, clearing cache might mean that some apps will take a bit longer to start the first time (not noticeable for most people, though).

I just try and hold power + volume down button cannot get me to recovery mode, just normal boot up.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Did you do the steps?
Power up by holding power and volume down button.. As soon as you see the boot logo, release the power button while still holding the volume button for a second.. Repress power while still holding volume down until recovery comes up.

This seems to be the 'official' way, but like the thread states, either carriers messed it up or some units won't boot into recovery. Unfortunately I don't have a V10 so I can't help you troubleshoot that :(

greymarketman

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Did you do the steps?

This seems to be the 'official' way, but like the thread states, either carriers messed it up or some units won't boot into recovery. Unfortunately I don't have a V10 so I can't help you troubleshoot that :(

Thanks a lot, I don't have problem with my phone now so I think I am fineO:)