Why can't I add a widget, such as a clock, to my home screen using Nova Launcher?

Yamstarch

Sep 26, 2016
Visit site
I recently purchased a new BLU Vivo 5r and I have Nova Launcher Prime Version D. I am trying to add a clock widget to my home screen, but every time I try I get a pop-up message saying

"Application error

Unfortunately, Settings has stopped."

this is only happening while using Nova Launcher. If I switch back to the default BLU launcher "Carefree Launcher" then I can add the widget just fine.

I am coming over from an LG G3 and Nova Launcher works fine on it adding and removing widgets.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which clock widget are you using? Some widgets aren't entirely compatible with Nova. Try installing any other 3rd party clock widget and see if that works.

slapdawg

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
I don't have an answer for you, but I'm in the *exact* same boat... coming from an LG G3 over to a Blu Vivo 5R... can't install widgets via Nova Prime Launcher... *ugh*

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which widgets? Do you mean that only certain widgets aren't available, or that none will install at all, even if they show up in the Widgets list?

slapdawg

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
I get the same error on 'any' widget that I try to add. Doesn't matter what the source for it is. Anything from the list of available widgets gives the same application error. Even widgets that worked perfectly fine with Nova on my G3.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It might have something to do with Blu's firmware. When I tried using Nova on my Honor 5X, I got a warning from the phone that using Nova would cause instability, and it prevented me from using it.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same exact problem. Came from the Vivo 5. Now using the Vivo 5R I got yesterday. Can't add widgets. Any widgets on Nova or ZenUI launcher. Anyone figure out what the problem can be?

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
We need to keep this thread alive. I can't figure out why this is happening. Lets pinpoint the problem. Did you guys restore from another phone when setting it up?

slapdawg

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
The first time I set my 5R up on Tuesday, I did restore from another phone. However, I did a complete factory reset yesterday, and did NOT do a restore this time around. No change... Nova still doesn't allow widgets. Also, I tried Apex Launcher, and it gives the same error when I try to add one. For the time being, I'm running the Google Now Launcher, which has no issues with widgets.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The first time I set my 5R up on Tuesday, I did restore from another phone. However, I did a complete factory reset yesterday, and did NOT do a restore this time around. No change... Nova still doesn't allow widgets. Also, I tried Apex Launcher, and it gives the same error when I try to add one. For the time being, I'm running the Google Now Launcher, which has no issues with widgets.

Thanks for the tip. I installed that launcher also after you said this. But I Will continue to investigate. I'll post back with any new information.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I recently purchased a new BLU Vivo 5r and I have Nova Launcher Prime Version D. I am trying to add a clock widget to my home screen, but every time I try I get a pop-up message saying

"Application error

Unfortunately, Settings has stopped."

this is only happening while using Nova Launcher. If I switch back to the default BLU launcher "Carefree Launcher" then I can add the widget just fine.

I am coming over from an LG G3 and Nova Launcher works fine on it adding and removing widgets.
Did you find any suggestions?

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Nova is not the issue. All aftermarket launchers don't work. I actually called and spoke with a BLU supervisor. He said they are going to reiterate the issue and make a fix. There Facebook service page is messaging me on messenger and saying this is a known problem. And they are going to have a fix for it and send it out to all Vivo 5R devices. ;) Fingers crossed.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
"Thank you for this information, we have already forwarded this to our Software Team, and now this is a known issue. Pretty soon we will be releasing an update to fix this"

From BLU

slapdawg

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
Thanks... hopefully they'll get something out soon. I will say, it's not ALL 3rd party launchers... Google Now and Lightning launcher both will run Widgets without issue on the Vivo 5R.

slapdawg

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
Just FYI - the reply I got from TeslaCoil support was as follows:

Hello,

I spoke to Kevin about this and unfortunately it's a 3rd party launcher issue. Google Now Launcher uses a different way of accepting the API because it's a system app where as Nova, Apex and other 3rd party launchers aren't system apps.

The only thing you could to get around this is to be rooted and install Nova as a system app or contact Blu and tell them what's going on and have them fix it, though you'd probably have to wait months for them to do fix it.

Cliff Wade
support@teslacoilsw.com
Nova Launcher
Nova Feature Requests: Hot (4374 ideas) – Customer Feedback for Nova Launcher

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Called Blu and confirmed again that they are working on a fix. He said the Pure XR had the same issue and they took care of it. Not sure how true that is lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz