Custom Roms for Epic 4g? How to install for noobs?

Nick_djinn

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
So, I already had a Samsung Epic 4g from the factory running 2.2 Froyo....However, when they "upgraded" me to the 2.2.2 for all the people still running 2.1 they broke my phone. I became very irate, and got sick of poor customer service, the run around, and being told to do a hard reset over and over again as if it would work the 12th time if it didnt work the 8th.

Yes. I have done both soft and hard resets. I can no longer root, no longer tether with USB, third party tethering apps now crash, and I now HATE my phone and HATE Sprint.

So, I need a custom rom....One that is friendly to tethering and adds infrastructure mode to its wifi capability. Fast and cool is nice and all, but really I just want a mobile hotspot without paying Sprint ANOTHER $30 a month for a f-ing app. Per MONTH!!!! Can you believe it? An app isnt worth that. I would rather hack.

So the phone is totally on the fritz. Things dont work right. Apparently they dont want you to be able to root or tether anymore, without them. I am not willing to accept this, considering all the money I gave them. I am beyond irritated by my experience with them today. I think Im going to let the whole neighborhood use my Mobil hotspot as soon as I get this going. Stick it to the man!

Please, give me some help here. I need to install a custom rom that is 2.2 or 2.3 and I dont know how. I need one specifically for the Epic-4g....a phone that USED to be great before Sprint F-ed it up. It WAS better than the Evo, but now I cant even use a USB to tether with my laptop.

What are some good options out there? I am a little savvy with GNU-Linux, but my CLI skills are limited, especially for Android. I do like to tinker though, as much as I can. I dont mind hunting down apps and getting things to work as long as it allows me to do cool stuff and as long as its not needless work if there isnt an easier way.

So....

Part 1. Please recommend some good roms, include a link, ect. Please talk about which ones are easy to install using a Micro-SD card.

Part 2. Please explain how to install them. I know even know what these special modems ARE let alone how to use them. I would strongly prefer using ROMS that are based on loading the Micro SD card with an adapter or dragging and dropping the rom into a folder as if it were an external hard drive.....A simple rom with good tethering powers is what I need....Easy to install that is.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
HTC did the same to me when it pushed out 2.2 update. No Wifi, bluetooth etc.

The instructions for flashing a new ROM, are already posted on this site (link on the home page). Technically, I would flash the basic stock ROM for your model phone to begin with just to get everything working before rooting and installing a custom ROM.

One of the things I read, was that I needed to create a "gold card". This is a special way of formatting your SD card. (hope you have an SD card reader on your PC) You should be able to find the program on the net. Run a search for "create a gold card".

The steps for installing the Stock ROM are pretty simple, but they are already posted so I won't be redundant. Just follow them to the letter and don't miss a step.

The web site xda- developers.com (I believe). There you can also search by specific phone model. They will also have installation steps for installing ROMs.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar