Easiest and simplest way to transfer to new phone?

metllicamilitia

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Okay, there are guides I see, however it looked like multiple services were required. My dad is currently using an LG G3 and will be upgrading to the G5 probably tomorrow. He's worried about losing texts and various other things. So what is the easiest and simplest way to transfer everything, apps, texts, bookmarks, settings, everything, from the G3 to the G5?

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
With a Google account I have switched phones three times and every one is a duplicate of the previous one. When booting a new phone for the first time I set up wifi, enter my Google account and password and a few minutes later I'm ready to go. I went from a Moto X 2013 to another Moto X 2013 to a Blu Vivo XL to a Samsung Tab S2 to a Moto X Pure Edition. I have done a factory reset on two of my phones and doing the above resets every thing as before. No problems.

BUT-

It does not restore texts.

metllicamilitia

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
With a Google account I have switched phones three times and every one is a duplicate of the previous one. When booting a new phone for the first time I set up wifi, enter my Google account and password and a few minutes later I'm ready to go. I went from a Moto X 2013 to another Moto X 2013 to a Blu Vivo XL to a Samsung Tab S2 to a Moto X Pure Edition. I have done a factory reset on two of my phones and doing the above resets every thing as before. No problems.

BUT-

It does not restore texts.

Thanks, will have probably have to use a service for the texts then, he's pretty adamant about keeping some of them. Now he just has to remember his passwords.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Since he's staying within the same brand, I think LG has its own backup and restore program if you tether to a computer. I haven't used it, so I can't give any specifics on it.

Now he just has to remember his passwords.

I'd suggest a password manager app, plus they are just good security in general. I use the paid version of Last Pass ($12/yr). It stores all of your passwords, has a password generator, can store secured notes, multiple layers of encryption (all performed locally, not server side), auto fill in abilities, and works across pretty much every computing platform. There's others, but I chose this one because it has some of the best security measures and you can use it almost anywhere.

Going back to the texts issue, you will have to use an app for that. There's several that can backup to an SD card, or this which can backup to your gmail account.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=com.zegoggles.smssync&token=1uWVzPuv

Just double check things backup right before deleting texts. I've had issues with that app in the past where it would suddenly stop backing up the other person's side of the convo.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
The easiest way to transfer data between two phones would be to sync your phone data with your Gmail account. When you switch to a new phone, you will be asked to enter the email ID and password you have used with your previous phone. Once you do this, in a couple of minutes, you will have all the data from your previous phone, in the new one.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The easiest way to transfer data between two phones would be to sync your phone data with your Gmail account. When you switch to a new phone, you will be asked to enter the email ID and password you have used with your previous phone. Once you do this, in a couple of minutes, you will have all the data from your previous phone, in the new one.

Some data, not "all the data." In fact, most data likely won't transfer this way.