Backup Phone Settings before Recall

doug6388

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
If it was necessary to turn in my Galaxy phone, is there an approved method to backup all my apps, settings, data into one readable file that I can store offline ( cloud ) in case of loss, theft or product recall? I am currently using syncios trial 5 entries per topic software to move limited data from phone to pc. Google has a similar vehicle for Gmail called Takeout.zip

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Your purchased apps are associated with your Google account and can be set to automatically install when you set up a new phone.

As for the data, check in the Google Drive app, look in the settings there, Backup and Reset. Make sure backup is on. That menu path on my Nexus takes me to the same place as Settings > Backup and Reset at the system level. Then look in Manage Backup in the Google Drive settings and see what apps are compliant with the proper API level to support that backup feature. As long as the apps are there and the backup for them is enabled, your data for those apps should restore when you set up a new device.

Of course, the Google Drive backup/restore capability was something made available with Marshmallow. Since you mention a recall, I assume we're talking about a Note 7 that may need to go back again.

doug6388

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
Many thanks Hallux. I followed your instructions and have no way of knowing if they stuck. What happens if all my installed apps are FREE ( as you mentioned Purchased Apps) and what about all alterations to the settings that each item drills down 3 or 4 levels deep. Are they saved? Do I need a special app to read the file or is it a zip format? Can I alter location of the default folder on Google Drive? Tks, D

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I imagine the settings are saved in some kind of hidden location with your Drive account. Sadly, you just have to trust that it's doing the job but settings are settings regardless of how many taps it takes to get to them. By "purchased apps" I mean any apps you've installed, free and paid-for.