Computer won't recognize Android phone

Great Grat

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
Recently my Android phone stopped being recognized by my computer. When I plug it in nothing happens except that it starts charging. If I pull down the shade nothing is there. I've tried rebooting, different cords, and different computers, and nothing worked. I've been able to connect it before with no problems. I dunno what to do. Any help would be appreciated

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You've restarted both devices right? Also have you tried multiple USB ports? Sometimes the ports in the back work better than the ports in the front.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which device do you have? Inspect its microUSB port carefully to see if there's any debris in there. Use a can of compressed air to blow it out, or fine-tipped toothpick to root around.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which phone do you have? Try reinstalling the USB drivers. Do a search for "[your phone] USB drivers" to see if there are specific drivers you can download from the web.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Let's back up a little bit. Were you able to confirm that the other cables you tried worked for data transfer on other devices? And were all of the computers you tried Windows PCs or Macs?

Great Grat

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I tried out three different cords for my Android, but none of them worked. They all worked on my Kindle, though. The computers I used were all Windows PCs.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
At this point, my guess is that the phone's microUSB port is faulty or damaged. The charging contacts are presumably still functional, but the data transfer contacts have been compromised. I'd bring it to a repair shop (or contact Motorola if it's still under warranty).