Can't fix “currently unable to download please try again later” error?

Captain Woof

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I have had my Galaxy S5 Plus (not rooted) for just over a year – everything working fine – until a month or so after I got the Marhsmallow update when I started getting the “currently unable to download please try again later” error. Also since then my battery has tanked and my on-screen time is now 5 hours if I’m lucky (was 8). Battery also shows that Android UI and System is using most of the energy, even after a day of using it for mostly on-screen-stuff. I believe these 2 to be linked, draining my battery trying to download something. :confused:

So far I’ve tried:
-Restarting it many times
-Clearing the cache
-Changing launchers 3 times and doing the above (Apex, Nova, Google Now)
-Disable automatic syncing for google-accounts
-Disable automatic MMS - media retrieval
-Removing every single app I installed since the incident and even a little while before that.
-Tried battery-doctor and similar apps to diagnose the problem: still Android UI and system using most of the battery.

What else can I try apart from a full-factory reset to remove this error and hopefully get my battery life back? It’s been over 2 months without any change, even after 1 or 2 OTA updates from Samsung. :'(

Crabby Abie The Queen T-Flo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I have had my Galaxy S5 Plus (not rooted) for just over a year – everything working fine – until a month or so after I got the Marhsmallow update when I started getting the “currently unable to download please try again later” error. Also since then my battery has tanked and my on-screen time is now 5 hours if I’m lucky (was 8). Battery also shows that Android UI and System is using most of the energy, even after a day of using it for mostly on-screen-stuff. I believe these 2 to be linked, draining my battery trying to download something. :confused:

So far I’ve tried:
-Restarting it many times
-Clearing the cache
-Changing launchers 3 times and doing the above (Apex, Nova, Google Now)
-Disable automatic syncing for google-accounts
-Disable automatic MMS - media retrieval
-Removing every single app I installed since the incident and even a little while before that.
-Tried battery-doctor and similar apps to diagnose the problem: still Android UI and system using most of the battery.

What else can I try apart from a full-factory reset to remove this error and hopefully get my battery life back? It’s been over 2 months without any change, even after 1 or 2 OTA updates from Samsung. :'(

full factory reset. sometimes bugs like these occur after every software update. happened to me once.

Captain Woof

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does this happen in Safe Mode as well? https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28456
I have just tried that and unfortunately, yes, it still does that. I haven't even launched any apps yet and within seconds it popped up.
Also, thanks for welcoming me! :D

Also, Crabby Abie, I'll wait a little while longer until there are no more options left before trying the factory reset. Still trying to prevent a few hours worth of re-installing everything.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What about the battery drain -- does that persist in Safe Mode as well?

The download error is presumably related to something that was preinstalled -- probably by Samsung. It might be related to the phone trying to automatically download updates to the dictionary. Try going to the App Manager, select the keyboard, and clear cache/data.

You could also try reinstalling the firmware, using Smart Switch (SmartSwitch: Install & update or replace firmware) or Odin (http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...w-flash-stock-rom-via-odin-new-interface.html). I'm pretty sure the latter will wipe the phone, but not sure about the former.

Captain Woof

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Just completely reset and whipped the cache clean of the keyboard and even disabled all features in it (I use swiftkey anyways), but sadly the problem still is happening...
Battery life is slightly better though in safe mode, but still not at the level it used to be.
I guess I'll have to got the route of completely resetting everything and if that doesn't work, the smartswitch route. Thanks anyways for helping! :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to ask before -- does this happen regardless of being on wi-fi or mobile data?

Captain Woof

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
I forgot to ask before -- does this happen regardless of being on wi-fi or mobile data?
Now that you mention it... so far I haven't notice it happen on mobile data... but then again, I don't use mobile data all that much...
You might be onto something... I'll keep my mobile data on to see if it still happens...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If it's only on wi-fi, see if it happens on other wi-fi networks. If it's only on yours, you could try going to your router settings (via your computer browser) and disabling IPv6.

Captain Woof

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
If it's only on wi-fi, see if it happens on other wi-fi networks. If it's only on yours, you could try going to your router settings (via your computer browser) and disabling IPv6.
It happens on all wifi-networks I try... home, university, train and parents place, so I don't think that's the problem unfortunately...

Robbo888

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
It happens on all wifi-networks I try... home, university, train and parents place, so I don't think that's the problem unfortunately...

I cant use messages my s6 keeps saying screen overlay detected . what does that mean tells me to go to settings >apps but I can't figure it out

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Do you notice any other kind of connectivity issue with wi-fi, or only this "Currently unable to download" message?

hotpotato70

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I've been getting the same thing. I think it's something to do with MMS messages, I read something on another forum & tried deleting text messages containing MMS messages & now don't get the 'currently unable to download please try again later' message, seems to have fixed it. Not sure if it's when you've got an MMS that you haven't opened, I had a text conversation going back a long time on my phone that contained several MMS messages, I'm sure that I hadn't opened a couple, but the conversation contained over 3000 texts, so I didn't want to go back & check, I just deleted all text/MMS messages, but I'd guess it's when you have MMS messages that haven't been opened. I'm not connected to the internet all of the time on my phone, so to get MMS messages I have to connect to mobile data, it's the only way to open them if you're not on a plan where you are online all of the time, which is probably why I've not bothered opening a few. Hope this works for you.

Captain Woof

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Somewhere in between 2 days ago and now the problem has been fixed. I've deleted every single message I've had, turned a bunch of settings off and had an update from Samsung for my phone and now the message doesn't pop up anymore. The update also automatically re-optimized all apps. Battery life has mostly recovered (still about an hour less than before), but now much better than before. I suppose this is the end now!
Thank you B. Diddy and Hot Potato for the help! :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63