Google Now: Know This Place?

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I noticed that on a recent Google Now update that now when I search on a business such as a restaurant and select it, there is an annoying grey bar at the bottom of the screen that says, "Know this Place? Help others decide" with an Ok or Close prompt.

I find this extremely annoying and I really want to turn this off.

Anyone else notice this??? And can this be turned off???

Thanks!

MikeCorsten

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
It's to help provide feedback for people searching this place or similar places, I think they're copying the work of Foursquare which asks for similar information about places. I can only see this as a positive and you can easily ignore it.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Look in the Google settings... I don't see anything specific to that particular function, but I am on the beta track.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
It's to help provide feedback for people searching this place or similar places, I think they're copying the work of Foursquare which asks for similar information about places. I can only see this as a positive and you can easily ignore it.

Uhh, it takes up a good bit of the bottom of the screen. And remains there when one scrolls for a bit. It's pretty much like an obnoxious ad. And one should be able to opt out of it.

Look in the Google settings... I don't see anything specific to that particular function, but I am on the beta track.

I have been all through the setting and can't find anything for it. I also looked in the Google Maps app as it appears related to maps in that it's for places that one searches. I think is HIGHLY OBNOXIOUS, and I won't want to EVER interact with this stuff. I find any app that more or less "forces" me to interact it an app that I quickly delete. But this is pretty much baked into Android. Hopefully Google will see the light and allow folks to opt out of this.

I understand what Google is doing. They are an advertising company. But they are already tracking me to death including monitoring my searches. Hey, perhaps I'm not wild about that, but I can live with that since that stuff is always behind the scenes and not "in my face."

Any suggestions would be appreciated. It's crap like this that make folks want to pay the Apple Premium in return for a "less obnoxious" experience.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I see it as quid pro quo. Apple's less obnoxious approach also lacks Google's ability to provide useful information in context. Google is crowd sourcing things so if you go to a restaurant, it'll be able to warn you that the food is crap before you walk in the door.

Asking for feedback is a small price to pay.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I see it as quid pro quo. Apple's less obnoxious approach also lacks Google's ability to provide useful information in context. Google is crowd sourcing things so if you go to a restaurant, it'll be able to warn you that the food is crap before you walk in the door.

Asking for feedback is a small price to pay.

Crowd source is only as good as the crowd. And another word for crowd is mob. I believe in buyer beware. I don't use my phone, or any tech, to assess day-to-day risk. I am 50 years old. I went to zillions of places before hand held tech.

Any tech or application that I find to be obnoxious and in my face I don't use. Period. And I will chuck Google and Android if I find it to be obnoxious. Hey, I have agreed to Google tracking me, and monitoring my web searches behind the scenes...I can live with that. I also agree to use Chrome Browser on my Windows computer.

If I am interested in Foursquare, then I will down load and install Foursquare. I don't use Twitter -- and I'm not forced to have Twitter, Foursquare, or anything else I DON'T choose to interact with on my devices.

Just like I seriously doubt I will ever use Alllo!!! Or permit Facebook Messenger to be my default SMS client. Or use Gmail--I don't because I don't like that they scan my emails for advertising purposes. I understand that these are for profit enterprises. Give me a CHOICE to do business and interact with them.

True that I am FORCED to interact with all of my tech in some manner. And if I don't agree then I don't use it.

And as a rule, I turn off all notifications such as these on all of my accounts and apps (Windows and Android). And almost all of them have these "enhancements" that are supposed to improve my experience. Let me opt out. To each their own. If you like to interact with such stuff, then so be it...

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's not just Google Now, but Maps as well. There's what I can only guess is an at home business near me, and may any time I drove through, Maps sends me a notice asking if I know the place to fill in hours and such. I can understand it asking this once, but there's no "I don't know this place" type option. All I can do is back out and no way to opt out of future noticed from that particular location.

I think it's a nice feature, but it is annoying by not having a way to decline and have it stop sending notices from the same place over and over.

Ltt

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
I also am looking for ways to get rid of this. It is distracting especially the amount of times I use google maps. Instead of paying someone to do this work google is now deligating it to the users.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I also am looking for ways to get rid of this. It is distracting especially the amount of times I use google maps. Instead of paying someone to do this work google is now deligating it to the users.

Welcome to Android Central! Google never had a dedicated travel/restaurant review service. This is simply crowdsourcing, which is how Yelp and Travelocity and dozens of other sites work. Even Zagat, which Google purchased a while back, is based on crowdsourcing.