What Is The Best Micro SD Card For Samsung Galaxy S5?

RedeemedAndFree

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
I'm running out of room/memory on my Galaxy S5 and several friends recommended that I get a micro SD card. But there are so many to choose from and I want one that is compatible with my phone and won't cause any problems. Any suggestions as to the best SD card, whether brand or certain kind, etc.?
Any suggestions/advice/tips would be helpful, like link(s), etc.!
My phone is refurbished, but I don't know if this affects anything.

Thank you!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Adding an SD card won't really give you more storage. (It definitely won't give you more memory - RAM - because it has nothing to do with memory, it's storage. And they're not the same thing.)

2. SanDisk is the inventor of the technology, and one of only 2 companies that produce the chips in the card. And they have what I can only call fantastic customer service. (I never worked for them - I pay retail or Amazon price for all my cards.) If you ever have a problem with their car (the only problem I ever had, in years of using their cards, was a card I snapped in half - that's not covered by the warranty.) Go to SanDisk microSD Tech Support and look in the upper right corner for Chat Lice. You'll be talking to a real tech. And if s/he determines that the card is defective, they'll give you instructions (and take your name, address, etc.) for a replacement.

3. The phone being refurbished doesn't make any difference. (My current phone is the 3rd refurbished phone I've gone through - and the SD card still works perfectly.)

4. If you want the best card for that phone, and it's 64GB or larger, get an SDXC U1. (You only need a U3 if the phone can do 4k video, which that one can't.) If it's smaller than 64GB it's going to be SDHC. (The designations are related to how large the card is [electrically].)

5. Plan on putting data - documents, pictures, music and videos - on the card. That gets them off the phone itself, and gives you a little more space for apps. (Apps "moved" to the card don't, actually. Small pieces are moved, but they leave "links" to the moved pieces in the phone, so unless the pieces are large compared to a link [and most aren't], you aren't gaining much space. Moving a file to the card just moves the entire file. [Don't use move", though - use "copy". If the copy is successful, delete the original (in the phone). If a copy blows up, you still have the original, if a move blows up you can lose both the original and the copy.])

alwilliam

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
You have a Samsung phone so probably the best compatibility is a Samsung micro SD card. Brands (San Disk, PNY, Lexar, etc.) don't really matter as they are pretty much standard. What matters is the speed/class of the card to read data. There is class 2, 4, 6,10 and Ultra High Speed (UHS). 2 the lowest and 10 the fastest, while UHS is geared towards professionals. The class number is on front of the card with a circle around the number. UHS is rated from 1 to 3, and it got the U marking around the number.
You can use class 2 or 4 for regular data and occasional video recordings. Class 10 if you are into HD video recording. Also depends on how much extra storage you need. S5 can take up to a 128gb micro SD card I believe. Just remember, the higher the class and the storage capacity the more expensive they are.
Also beware of imitation/fake SD cards even on Amazon. A 128gb card, regardless of brand will cost you about $40-#60 depending on class.
If you see one for about $10-$20 - don't bother.