bad phone

and9988

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the htc Verizon phone..one of the cheapest they sell. I only got it on the spur of the moment and wish I had just kept my Droid mini. THe htc sound sucks. The volume level constantly goes up and down for no reason. It sucks for talking on the phone. Good thing I hardly get any calls.
I have updated the phone latest. Is there anything I can do to reset the sound somehow and make it work better.
Everybody wants a phone that can do all the latest tricks...I would love a phone like you get in Africa. It is just for talking and simple texting and limited apps for funds transfer and thats it.
anyway I need to get my htc to work sound wise. or else I am going to drive a hammer right thru it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which HTC phone? "HTC Verizon" isn't specific enough. Have you already taken the phone back to Verizon and asked for a replacement? You might have a bad unit.

and9988

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I think its a HTC Sense. But the sound problem ia apparently common with HTC phones. I wiped the cache. Dont know if that will help. If anyone has run into this on HTC and knows how to fix it please post.
the phone is way past warranty.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
HTC Sense is the name of HTC's launcher (i.e., graphic user interface). You can find out the name of the phone in Settings>About Phone. Have you tried booting into Safe Mode? If it persists in Safe Mode, then it's more likely to be a hardware issue.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Another thing to check is if the volume also varies on headphones -- if that's the case, then it's more likely to be a problem with the firmware or the motherboard. If it only happens with the main speaker, then it's probably the speaker itself.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Another thing to check is if the volume also varies on headphones -- if that's the case, then it's more likely to be a problem with the firmware or the motherboard. If it only happens with the main speaker, then it's probably the speaker itself.
Good idea, but keep in mind that it's possible for the volume level to change with anything else connected to the aux port or through Bluetooth. If the volume is maxed out, it will someone's reduce it to about 75%. You can increase it again, but a nag message about the dangers of listening at high volumes will appear. After clearing the nag, you can go louder but it will eventually go down again later. This is a function (albeit a highly debatable one) of Android itself and not any given phone.