[SOLVED] Boot looped LG D120g. Only download mode and --useless-- factory reset

jmo707

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
SOLVED

I've been able to debrick the phone! It's difficult to reproduce the steps, but it goes something like this:

- Being that the phone rebooted by itself [with battery on] the flashing process could never be completed successfully. So I noticed that the phone kept powered on when the battery was removed and it was connected to the micro USB. So I used LG Flash Tool 2014, and as soon as the process started (after selecting the KDZ file > CSE Flash > START > OK) I connected the phone, with the battery removed. The process started and had a
"Connection to Server failed. Try again in a moment."
error, which I ignored, so the flashing process went on background. Then it said there was an error and give me the option to retry. I did. The process started again, reaching 99%. Then the phone restarted and the perennial "Download mode" was gone! The Android with a charging bar below appeared. I put back the battery on the phone and after a few reboots more it was back on KitKat.

Hope this helps someone else in the future. It made me sweat :D

Hi. I've a LG L30 Sporty. The model is LG-D120g. I've been using the phone and, four weeks ago, I had the brilliant idea of flashing Injector with Flashify. Now I believe it's hard-bricked.
The phone was rooted, running stock Android 4.4.2 and without any other issues. I have never been able to use the stock recovery (except for factory reset) because strangely the font exceeds the screen limits and the menu is illegible.

Now, the reason because I say it's "hard bricked" is because, at the moment, the only two things which the phone can do is freezing on download mode, and "factory hard reset" with VOL. DOWN + POWER BUTTON, and the POWER BUTTON once. The factory hard reset is confirmed, and only returns the phone, without rebooting, to the download mode.

I have tried ADB and LG Bridge, but none of them detect the phone. I've two firmware: D120AR10B_00.kdz and D120G10A.kdz. But (only tried once) now the phone is in a boot loop! It cycles every 40 seconds, taking with the dark screen to boot (or reboot) and 20 in download mode.

I've tried LG Flash Tool. The flashing process reachs the third stage, the one with the phone and the up arrow when the software extraction in progress completes, and then there are 2 dead-ends: 1) A window which says

Code:
Connection to server failed.
Try again in a moment.

Then I close it, I disconnect the phone and remove the battery (as recommended by LG Flash Tool), press VOL. UP and connect and put the battery on, and the phone starts again and I click "Retry". LG Flash Tools says "Verifying phone connection..." and then "S/W Upgrade is in progress", but it never goes beyond %11. I believe that it is because of the boot loop =/

If I could only stop it...

Well, any ideas? I've given up, but now my father could use the phone and I thought of asking around.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Boot looped LG D120g] Only download mode and --useless-- factory reset

You can possibly try using fastboot commands to reflash the stock ROM. Otherwise perhaps a JTAG device. There is no guarantee with a JTAG, though.

jmo707

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site

I've been there, I mean, on the bottoms of fastboot, but in this case I can't list the device on it, or at least I couldn't yet. I've, however, noticed that the phone is detected by the computer.
When it's on download mode there are 3 new devices: 1) USB Composite Device 2) LGE AndroidNet USB Modem 3) LGE AndroidNet USB Serial port (COM13)

I've stabilized the reboot cycle by taking the battery out when connected to the computer. Somehow the USB cable seems to power the phone independently from the battery circuit.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

If your PC is set up for fastboot, when you are in download mode, you can try entering fastboot commands. 'Fastboot devices' should show a serial number for your phone is everything is working properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton