Interesting Update Recovery Mode Problem?

ryanb8741

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
I booted my phone into recovery mode, it then says installing system update, it then reads 'No Command' with the dead Android robot. Then it goes into normal recovery mode. When you exit recovery mode you can still access the phone as normal. I can't see any help for this and I still can't update to 6.0

Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo
Android 5.1.1 Lollipop

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I booted my phone into recovery mode, it then says installing system update, it then reads 'No Command' with the dead Android robot. Then it goes into normal recovery mode. When you exit recovery mode you can still access the phone as normal. I can't see any help for this and I still can't update to 6.0

Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo
Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
You trying a Factory Reset? Is that what you mean?

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Daily Driver
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Hobby

ryanb8741

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
You trying a Factory Reset? Is that what you mean?

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
No, I turned to phone off and help Home-Volume Up-Power to open recovery mode. The little android robot came up with some cogs and a message that said 'Installing System Update' for 1-2 minutes, then the dead Android robot with the 'No Command' message for about 5 seconds before returning to regular Recovery Mode. If you select the reboot option in Recovery Mode everything works fine, but because every other S5 Neo has 6.0 by now, I believe there is an update error which is causing this 'No Command' and I'm trying to get around it to update to 6.0

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
No, I turned to phone off and help Home-Volume Up-Power to open recovery mode. The little android robot came up with some cogs and a message that said 'Installing System Update' for 1-2 minutes, then the dead Android robot with the 'No Command' message for about 5 seconds before returning to regular Recovery Mode. If you select the reboot option in Recovery Mode everything works fine, but because every other S5 Neo has 6.0 by now, I believe there is an update error which is causing this 'No Command' and I'm trying to get around it to update to 6.0
Ok, TMO, VZW and AT&T have all released a Patch over the last week.

I would do a complete Factory Reset.
Once its finished do not do a restore just try the system update again. If that goes well then do the OS update to MM 6.0.1.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

ryanb8741

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
Ok, TMO, VZW and AT&T have all released a Patch over the last week.

I would do a complete Factory Reset.
Once its finished do not do a restore just try the system update again. If that goes well then do the OS update to MM 6.0.1.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
Any way to back up all that I've got already?

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Any way to back up all that I've got already?
Whatever your standard way of doing it is. Settings/Backup/ etc. BUT don't restore until AFTER you've got MM 6.0.1

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Is there any option other than a factory reset?
Come on - buck up. It cures a multitude of sins and if it hurts TUFF. It's the only way you can say you tried EVERYTHING.

OR

Wait for more replies.

BTW ya know MM 6.0.1 is the maximum OS your phone will take.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.

ryanb8741

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
Come on - buck up. It cures a multitude of sins and if it hurts TUFF. It's the only way you can say you tried EVERYTHING.

OR

Wait for more replies.

BTW ya know MM 6.0.1 is the maximum OS your phone will take.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
Yep, well aware

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo
Android 5.1.1 Lollipop

What you're seeing is "normal" for 5.1.1 and above when you enter recovery. The system update is not really updating the system... it's more like getting recovery ready. Acts the same way on my Note 4 on LP 5.1.1... and on MM, which my Note 4 was previously on before I downgraded it to LP. (EDIT.. just checked it again and for some reason, the system update message doesn't show up anymore. Might be I had wiped the cache partition awhile back when I reverted to LP.)

Why did you manually enter recovery in the first place? This is not how to update the OS. Did you have your phone check for updates in Settings > System update? DId you download the update?

I wouldn't factory reset your phone just yet. I don't think anything has changed on your phone and a factory reset would be useless.

By the way, who's your carrier?

Last edited:

ryanb8741

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
What you're seeing is "normal" for 5.1.1 and above when you enter recovery. The system update is not really updating the system... it's more like getting recovery ready. Acts the same way on my Note 4 on LP 5.1.1... and on MM, which my Note 4 was previously on before I downgraded it to LP. (EDIT.. just checked it again and for some reason, the system update message doesn't show up anymore. Might be I had wiped the cache partition awhile back when I reverted to LP.)

Why did you manually enter recovery in the first place? This is not how to update the OS. Did you have your phone check for updates in Settings > System update? DId you download the update?

I wouldn't factory reset your phone just yet. I don't think anything has changed on your phone and a factory reset would be useless.

By the way, who's your carrier?
Carrier is EE (United Kingdom). Entered recovery mode to wipe cache partition. Update screen in settings reads 'The latest system updates have been installed' though this is clearly not the case.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The question is if your carrier has released MM for your phone? According to THIS thread, as of Tuesday, MM has not yet been released by EE for the S5 Neo. You might have to contact EE directly, although they will probably give you the same answer as in the thread. Seems the thread has been active since May 2016.

ryanb8741

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
The question is if your carrier has released MM for your phone? According to THIS thread, as of Tuesday, MM has not yet been released by EE for the S5 Neo. You might have to contact EE directly, although they will probably give you the same answer as in the thread. Seems the thread has been active since May 2016.
7670597a0ec94141946ae65735963055.jpg

I believe this infers that the update is currently out for S5 devices, or is this not a reputable source? This is what led me to believe the update was out

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, Marshmallow has been out for awhile now for most phones. That article you read is about Samsung, but it's the carrier (EE) that needs to release their specific MM OTA to their subscriber phones, so Samsung isn't to blame here. Unless EE gets on the ball and sends their OTA update, you're not going to get it. Have you contacted EE yet? If it's released and you're not seeing it for some reason, one of their stores may be able to flash MM for you (if they have a store, that is).