CLARIFIED: Voice to text: I want the keyboard to come up immediately when I touch the text area

Don Lotter

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
When I am using voice to text I always have to do some editing with the keyboard.
NOTE: It is ONLY when I am using the Voice to Text that the keyboard does not come up when I touch the text area.
When I touch the text entry area I want the keyboard to come up immediately. On my Samsung Note 3 the keyboard will only come up when I push the back button and then the text area again. It's quite clumsy and annoying, and takes three or four touches to finally bring up the keyboard and the blinking cursor.
I could swear that a couple of years ago it was bringing up the keyboard whenever I touched the text area. But now it doesn't.

Please try your Voice to Text. After you have input some words, touch the text input area. Does your keyboard immediately come up? Mine does not, and I have to touch several times to get it up. It is very clumsy. I use VtoT many times per day.

Last edited:

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Voice to text: I want the keyboard to come up immediately when I touch the text area

On my Note 4, the keyboard comes right up when I touch the text area with either my finger or the S Pen, no back button necessary. Does it make a difference whether you use your finger or S Pen? What happens if you touch the text area in a place other than where the cursor is presently at... does the keyboard come up then?

The phone has two different layers... one for touch, and one for the S Pen. If there's a hardware problem with one of the layers, using your finger or the S Pen, will tell you which layer is not working. If the problem is happening with both layers, then perhaps something else is going on... which I currently have no idea. Does the problem persist in Safe mode?

You posted this same question in November... hopefully you can get help this time around. And hopefully, it's not just your memory and having to hit the back button is just how it always was. Then again, having to hit the text area multiple times on your Note 3 shouldn't happen, I wouldn't think.

EDIT... Note that the description I gave in the first paragraph is while using Voice to Text input. As soon as I touch anywhere in the text area, the keyboard immediately comes up.

Last edited:

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
A few more things... Voice to text, or the ability to use the microphone anywhere on the phone, is handled by the Google Search app (or simply the Google app if your phone has an updated OS). You might try updating the app to see if it changes anything, or you might uninstall any recent updates in case an update has caused the issue. Try starting the phone Safe mode... this will shut down any 3rd party apps that may be affecting either Google search, or the keyboard, and also preclude having too many apps running at once.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34