Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

problemmmmm: i cant view the chart on my xoom! lol it appears as a question mark on google chrome..
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

Quote Originally Posted by pipp22 View Post
    problemmmmm: i cant view the chart on my xoom! lol it appears as a question mark on google chrome..
    I can replicate that in Chrome if I am not logged in to Android Central. As soon as I log in the jpg chart image is displayed.

Are you logged into Android Central?
    — Milo
    ← Tap Getting Started at the top of any page for help with:
    - Settings - Email - Backup Everything - Phone - Messaging - Music & Photo Sync
    - Keyboards — Folders - Favorite Apps - Extending Battery Life - My Avatar
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM
    If this helped, please click Thanks & Like↓

that was it! thank youu!

I just did some research and it does not look like the Galaxy tab has HDMI built in. You should update that.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

As I continue to work on the comparisons, the Asus Transform really stands out. Asus has been computers, monitors, and devices for other brands for years including past Treo's.

The Asus Transformer is basically a netbook that's touchscreen detaches to be used as a tablet. All for only $399?

The Transformer matches up well with the Xoom resolution, size, CPU, RAM, HDMI 1080p, cameras, and is Honeycomb too.

Best Buy has had the Transform but has taken it back down. It included this picture:

If the Transformer is sitting in a row with all the other tablets at Best Buy, which one will people buy?

[EDIT] The more I think about this, there is simply no way the keyboard can be included at $399. It will cost extra.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04-13-2011 at 04:51 PM.
    — Milo
    - iPhone User's Guide to Android - (Palm) - Tablet & Phone Comparison - Epic4GT - ATT - TM

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

I think it really depends. Obviously respecting fans will buy their OS of choice. What is left are the people in the middle. If the fact that the Transformer can almost fully replace a netbook/laptop is pushed, then I think it will win. If not, people will go with the brand they know, which is the iPad.

That being said, the iPad, just from a hardware perspective is sexier being more compact and lighter, without a huge bezel. However, the Transformer has all of the benefits of Honeycomb's openness, file system, etc. I think it will come down to whatever people value more. Form vs function.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but the transformer at $399 doesn't come with the keyboard dock, which I have heard will cost $150 extra.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

The Asus website shows that the keyboard is included in the box.

I just can't believe the Asus is $399 let alone with a keyboard.

We will see very soon.
    — Milo
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

That would be very nice indeed. I don't think the unboxing videos have showed the keyboard though.

Update: I am pretty sure that the dock is an extra. I found this quote on the ASUS website. " The Transformer sets itself apart from other tablets on the market by featuring an optional docking station. This provides access to a full QWERTY keyboard along with unique Android Function keys, turning the tablet Transformer into a full-fledged notebook."

The site also says that the transformer will use ASUS' waveshare launcher, which hopefully is just a basic launcher replacment and doesn't do any deep changes.

Last edited by Complex Pants; 04-14-2011 at 12:11 AM.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

I will split this off into a separate thread but the reviews for the RIM Playbook are just brutal...

"Almost every single review we've read says in short: Don't buy it."

"...For now, the PlayBook’s motto might be, ‘There’s no app for that’."

"The PlayBook, then, is convenient, fast and coherently designed. But in its current half-baked form, it seems almost silly to try to assess it, let alone buy it."

"Remember, the primary competition is an iPad — the same price, but much thinner, much bigger screen and a library of 300,000 apps. In that light, does it make sense to buy a fledgling tablet with no built-in e-mail or calendar, no cellular connection, no video chat, no Skype, no Notes app, no GPS app, no videochat, no Pandora radio and no Angry Birds?"

"It's as if there is no one at RIM who has the power/stones to say, 'This isn't good enough. Re-do it and make it much better.'"

"...it's not ready for prime time."

"Unfortunately for RIM, the consensus seems to be that RIM’s PlayBook is a bit underwhelming."

"...you may want to think twice before picking one up."

"...I don't think anyone should buy it right now..."

"...I don’t fully understand why there’s this negative sentiment, and I just don’t have the time to battle it..."

"This first edition of the PlayBook has no built-in cellular data connection and lacks such basic built-in apps as an email program, a contacts program, a calendar, a memo pad and even RIM’s popular BlackBerry Messenger chat system...although the PlayBook has very nice front and rear cameras, it comes without video-chatting software."

Quanta is the actual maker of the Playbook:

‎"Although most market watchers believe RIM's total PlayBook sales will reach only about 4-5 million units in 2011, since RIM plans to at least order an average of 800,000 units each month in the second half of 2011, the company will have a great chance of having annual sales surpass market watchers' expectations."

RIM's Future: ‎ ()

An almost positive review:
    "Like webOS? If so, you're going to love what's hiding under the PlayBook's (healthy) bezels...ultimately, we have a tablet that's trying really hard to please the enterprise set but, in doing so, seems to be alienating casual users who might just want a really great seven-inch tablet."

Here is a positive Review!
    Check it out. If nothing else to see the worst toupee on a 60-year-old ever.

CrackBerry is not as positive: CrackBerry BlackBerry PlayBook Review
    "So did the BlackBerry PlayBook hit the ball straight out of the park? Not quite."
    — Milo
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

I added the Toshiba Tablet to the opening post comparison but it is really not much different than the Xoom at $599.

The Acer Iconia at $449 and Asus Transformer at $399 still lead the way.

Maybe the Toshiba can be at or below the Asus price although I suspect not. Toshiba has to buy it's tablet from a third party who also has to make a mark-up. Asus, Acer, and Samsung are able to make their own devices.
    — Milo

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

Is it just me or does the galaxy 10.1 look larger than the Xoom? Also what was up with that rd box when you added a widget? Nice looking device though.

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts

After having been burned by VZW and Samsung with the Fascinate, I'm going to be very cautious about the Samsung tabs.

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

All I know is that it isis going to be an interesting summer.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  

The opening post is updated to reflect the base price of the Toshiba Tablet is now expected to be $449.
    — Milo

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

Engadgets review of the UK Transformer:

In case you all missed it.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

Here is Phil Nickinson's review for Android Central: ASUS EeePad Transformer review.

Here is the answer about Honeycomb:
    The EeePad Transformer runs Android 3.0.1 Honeycomb, the Google's tablet version of Android. It's largely unskinned -- the stock Google apps all look as we've come to know them on Honeycomb. The buttons in the System Bar -- back, home and multitasking -- are customized and have a much softer feel than the Tron-like buttons in stock Honeycomb.
    It has SD and microSD that both work without hacks.

The right-and bezel has the 3.5mm headphone/microphone jack, microphone, mini HDMI port for high-definition output, and a microSD card slot. And unlike the Motorola Xoom's, it actually works. Pop in a microSD card, and it appears as "External storage," or /removable in the file structure. No hacks -- it just works.
    — Milo
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #42  

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Engadgets review of the UK Transformer:

In case you all missed it.
    You can sum it up engadget's review in seven words:
    "...this is the best Honeycomb tablet yet."
    — Milo
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  

Per the ASUS EeePad Transformer pricing and availability:

16GB - $399. 32GB - $499. Optional keyboard dock - $150. Available April 26 in the United States at:
    • Amazon
    • American TV
    • B&H
    • BestBuy.com
    • BJ's
    • Buy.com
    • Datavision
    • Fry's
    • HH Gregg
    • J&R
    • Micro Center
    • Newegg
    • OfficeMax.com
    • Office Depot
    • PC Richards
    • Sears.com
    • Staples
    • Target
    • TigerDirect
    • Walmart.com

Add a and a to the $399 base unit + keyboard and you are at 80GB for about $650.

If you are looking at the Transformer, Xoom, and iPad 2 side-by-side, which would you pick?

Does Android now have a game-changing tablet?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 04-21-2011 at 11:25 AM.
    — Milo

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

At target and Walmart?! Well played ASUS
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    At target and Walmart?! Well played ASUS
    I think that this would have been pretty easy for Asus. They already sell netbooks and laptops at all of these retailers.

If they are smart they will let each retail store only have about 6 a day. With the online sites, tell them to show out os stock by 10 AM. To this day, I am certain that is what HTC is doing with the EVO. They are all still on allotments. There is such magic in the words, "We are sold out of that again but I can put you on the list. We hope to get more tomorrow..."

The way to get someone to want something is to tell them they can't have it.
    — Milo

Global Posts
    2,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7/MazWoz on Evo

Lol, very true. Worked wonderfully for the Wii

This is all good, but when is it coming out. I heard its been delayed until June. I don't get it

Default Thanks

Thanks for this

Thanks that helped me alot
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast