DATA only thru WiFi - new carrier, refurb S5 (works on Note 4) - HELP

hobkirk

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
From Verizon to Consumer Cellular
Installed new SIM cards in my Note 4 (I was using Vz) and S5 (bought thru Amazon).
After a lot of support calls, both phones work, messages work, voice mail work.
Modified Access Point Name - new = CC LTE in both phones
Chrome connects on my phone, not S5.
Just talked 45 minutes about this problem. Lots of rebooting. Suggested:
I swap SIM cards and re-test. Same results - it's NOT the SIM card.
---
Vz says they don't lock phones, the Amazon ad said "Verizon" and "unlocked."
Refurb S5 seems perfect. I called seller - seemed to know his stuff, said he'd work out any problem.
Is it significant that Note 4 was purchased directly through Vz?
---
I can't imagine what CC can do. It seems bizarre that the phone is bad. But I need help, and I'm sure this sort of problem can't be unique.
---
THANKS

hobkirk

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
  • Both phones after power off/on display the message "SIM card is not from Verizon Wireless"
Thanks.
Wow! The exact model of the S5?
  • The box shows model = SM-G900V (and, in addition to the IMEI and S/N, it says Verizon: 8235V

Regarding the APN:
  • I've setup the APN exactly the same as on my Note 4. I've verified it letter by letter twice, with my wife the second time.
  • Ditto checking it against the email they sent detailing the info in the CC Knowledgebase.
  • I spent 45 minutes with a support guy who seemed decent who was checking with his supervisor (?) several times during our conversation.
  • It did not seem likely to me that swapping SIM cards would work but I was glad to try, just the eliminate the possibility that the SIM was bad.
Also, in case it matters:
  • Both phones after power off/on display the message "SIM card is not from Verizon Wireless"
I will probably make a final attempt to solve the problem by calling Consumer Cellular tomorrow. But I suspect we end up being forced to return the S5's (we got two S5's, but I've just been working on one so far).

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On the S5, go to Settings>About Phone>Model Number. Does it also say SM-G900V there, or is it something different? Sometimes a seller will flash a different firmware onto the phone in order to make it compatible with other networks -- but this might also cause problems.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Look in the Settings>Mobile Networks menu for a Preferred Network Type option. What is it set to, and what other options are there?

hobkirk

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Look in the Settings>Mobile Networks menu for a Preferred Network Type option. What is it set to, and what other options are there?

FYI,
1) After every significant change I power off, wait 5 seconds, and power back on
2) My DATA TEST = Chrome w/o WiFi = "Your are offline" means no data (it works w/ WiFi)

/ Mobile Networks / "Preferred Network Type" = "GLOBAL"
>> Changed to LTE / GSM / UMTS (3rd choice = LTE / CDMA / UMTS) - no DATA

/ Mobile Networks / Available Networks = AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless (selected automatically)

Click on AT&T and returns to prior screen, and shows message "Registered on network"

/ More Networks / Mobile networks / Access Point Names / CC LTE (other choice = LTE - Verizon Internet)
>> I created "CC LTE" and have been through it line-by-line with Consumer Cellular support

NOTE - sometimes as I am doing all this, I return to "Access Point Names" and neither button is green

And, as always, THANKS

hobkirk

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Refurb S5 Phone seller (cellular gallery) says the phone needs to be reset.
So we did a hard reset on the phone, including cache.
(I had done a reset on my Note but I had not noticed any changes)
Hooray? Might "reset" be the magic elixir?

One hour later, after reloading the intro stuff and the APN of CC LTE, power off/on > > still no data
Checked settings, APN = no green button next to CC LTE so I turned it on.
Went out to home screen and checked settings again. CC LTE was still green
Power off/on
Same result - neither button is green

Waiting for Consumer Cellular to call back (boy is that vastly better than listening to the voice mail marketing loop).

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante