Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation VoIP n00b traveling to Middle East?!?

Evening all,

I have NEVER (really, never) placed an internet / wifi phone call. I'm heading overseas a bit with the military, and I'd like to call back to the states over wifi. I'll have free broadband accessible.

I've tried to search forums, and I have trouble wrapping my head around all of the individual steps, and nearly all of the data I find is severely out-of-date (sipgate is no longer free, or the sip client no longer links with Google Voice, etc.)

Can I get some be-all-end-all info on the simplest way to get this set up? I'm running a rooted Moto Droid with Cyanogenmod 7 (RC4). I'm fairly tech savvy, but ALL of this VoIP stuff is new to me.

Thanks in advance. I'll be gone for awhile, and I'd love to call home over wifi and avoid the international roaming charges for phone calls. Along the same lines, wifi texting would rock,too (but e-mail's an easy replacement for that)

Thanks Again,

The Humble AndRoyD
    Last edited by AndRoyD; 04-11-2011 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Typo
    Troubleshooter

ROM
    Jiffy Pop Roots 3.47.114

ummmmm.... Skype? extremely cheap per minute.
    Resident Linux Fiend

ROM
    Stock Touchwiz LJC 4.1.1

I'm not sure about whether it works or not in middle east, but if you are taking a computer with a mic, gmail.com offers a call phone feature which any phone in us is free to call

Swyped from my g-breaded optimus prime.
    Troubleshooter

ROM
    Jiffy Pop Roots 3.47.114

Quote Originally Posted by AndRoyD View Post
    Evening all,

I have NEVER (really, never) placed an internet / wifi phone call. I'm heading overseas a bit with the military, and I'd like to call back to the states over wifi. I'll have free broadband accessible.

The Humble AndRoyD
    Being an AF retiree, I can tell you that you might have issues if you're in KSA (Saudi) as all their broadband access runs through proxy server filters at the Islamic Institute. Although voip shouldn't be against their rules, I would check with your chief cook and bottlewasher about internet access at the base you're going to. They should I suspect, have WiFi zones already.

UAE has no problems.

You don't need to do any settings with Skype. Just create a skype account, put 10 bucks on it. It'll recharge by itself when the account gets too low. Simple.

Default Re: VoIP n00b traveling to Middle East?!?

Truphone could be an option for you. Just the Tru app, stay clear of the SIM for now. They offer an unlimited landlines and Mobiles deal for $13.00. I started using their service recently because I needed a cardiologist by my side every time I opened my phone bill. Voice reproduction is as good as a mobile call but they have a time lag, probably less than a second, which can be annoying.

The Tru app sits in the background and is not a drain on the battery, but running around with your Wi-FI connection ON could be a drain. Check it out if it works for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndRoyD View Post
    Can I get some be-all-end-all info on the simplest way to get this set up? I'm running a rooted Moto Droid with Cyanogenmod 7 (RC4). I'm fairly tech savvy, but ALL of this VoIP stuff is new to me.
    Your custom ROM could give you grieve since all the VSP's only provide customer support on standard manufacturer ROM.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Default Re: VoIP n00b traveling to Middle East?!?

If you have an Android phone, take a look at an app called Groove IP

It provides unlimited called back to the US (and maybe everywhere) for free if you have
    either a cell signal OR WiFi.

Its a one time charge of $4 for the app. Make sure you get it before leaving the US
    may be tricky to get it elsewhere.