Decisions Decisions!

thenoble

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey!

I live in the UK and I've had a HTC Hero for 18months. Since I hate having old tech, I kinda stopped looking at the new phones that were coming out all the time and made do with my Hero (which I have to admit has been a really good phone for me!)

So - the time has come to think about an upgrade as my current contract runs out at the end of April. Since I'm a bit out of the loop in regards the new tech and features, I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction.

I think (after a little research) my options are LG Optimus 3D, LG Optimus 2X or the Samsung Galaxy S2. All these phones will be out in the UK towards the end of April/beginning of May. Have I missed anything or are they my choices? Since I'm going to have to enter into a 24months contract, I'm trying to pick the very best phone I can to hope it survives speed wise for 2 years!

Any help would be great :)

Thanks
A

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Well as far as making it two years and being top of the list no phone is gonna really do that.
All three phones you listed will be great. But questions to ask yourself are: 1)are you gonna like the brands user interface? 2)How current do you want to stay with new versions of Android? 3) What you will want to do with the phone Ie. game, work phone, social media, or a little of all? 4) Are you gonna root the phone and how easy will it be? 5)which one has the best battery life.

Check here for details
http://www.androidcentral.com/devices

thenoble

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, all good points Tropper.

I'll defo root, and use a custom rom when they come out (do LG or Samsung lock the phone so you can't use custom roms, that would be a deal breaker). I'd guess they all have the same kinda battery life (but I'd better check).

And I don't expect the phone I choose to be cutting edge in two years, but I need it to be as future prove as I can make it (hence making sure it is dual core etc).

Ta for the advice though :)

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
No prob. Yeah they all lock em down, Moto is the worst but as far as I know LG would be the easier of the two phones your looking at.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Hey!

I live in the UK and I've had a HTC Hero for 18months. Since I hate having old tech, I kinda stopped looking at the new phones that were coming out all the time and made do with my Hero (which I have to admit has been a really good phone for me!)

So - the time has come to think about an upgrade as my current contract runs out at the end of April. Since I'm a bit out of the loop in regards the new tech and features, I was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction.

I think (after a little research) my options are LG Optimus 3D, LG Optimus 2X or the Samsung Galaxy S2. All these phones will be out in the UK towards the end of April/beginning of May. Have I missed anything or are they my choices? Since I'm going to have to enter into a 24months contract, I'm trying to pick the very best phone I can to hope it survives speed wise for 2 years!

Any help would be great :)

Thanks
A

Most are "locking" devices now including HTC. With that said, have you considered the "Bionic" which is due to be released very soon in the U.S. not sure about when it will be released in the UK. Below are specs and a link for review.

* Android 2.2 OS(Froyo)
* Dual Core Nvidia Tegra 2 1GHz Processor
* Wi-Fi 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, eCompass, sGPS (simultaneous) with Google Maps?, Google Latitude?, Google Maps Street View
* Audio: AAC, AAC+, AAC+ Enhanced, MIDI, MP3
* Video: Capture/Playback/Streaming, HD Video (1080p decode/playback, 720p encode/capture), H.263, H.264, MPEG4
* Camera: 8 MP, VGA P2P Video, Digital Zoom, Auto Focus, LED
* Memory: 512MB DDR2 RAM and 16GB on board ? supports up to 32GB microSD (Total 48GB)
* Dimensions: 66.90(x) 125.90(y) 13.30(z)
* Storage: Display: 4.3? qHD (Quarter High Definition) (960 x 540)
* Connectivity: 3.5mm, USB 2.0 HS, Corporate Sync, DLNA, Motosync, OMA DM, HDMI (with Mirror Mode)
* Bluetooth1: Stereo Bluetooth Class 2, Version 2.1+EDR, HID (Keyboard, mouse)
* Weight: 158.00 g
* Battery: 1930.00 mAh

Motorola DROID BIONIC Android Specifications

thenoble

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Ahhh - forgot about the Bionic. Good call, however, don't Moto REALLY lock the devices down and make it really hard to root and put on custom roms?

Also - another quick question. Is there any sites that have upto date comparisons of Snapdragon Vs Tegra 2? I guess that could be a deciding factor as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835