LG Stylo 2 plus hotspot won't connect to Internet

iam144

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
My Stylo 2 Plus (Android 6.0 Marshmallow) will not serve up internet when I have the Mobile HotSpot turned on. I can connect to the phone with other devices, and those devices are displayed on the "Connected Devices" section of the HotSpot setup, but none of the connected devices can access the internet.
I'm using Walmart Family Mobile. I've been able to do this with other phones on Walmart Family Mobile.
By the way, my wife's phone, an HTC Desire on Walmart Family Mobile works just fine.
Let me know if any specifics about the setting on the phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Did you buy this phone through Walmart Family Mobile, or did you bring it over from somewhere else? And this is a basic question, but I still should ask -- the phone's mobile data is turned on, right?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, and does the wireless plan include tethering? You often have to pay an extra fee for tethering. If the other devices that are able to tether are on the same plan, then check the fine print (or ask a customer service rep) if there is a limit to how many devices can tether.

Another thing to check is if you've surpassed your monthly data allotment. If so, your data might be throttled to very slow 2G speeds, so trying to tether using 2G speeds might seem like no connection, depending on what you're trying to do.

iam144

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for reminding me to check the small things. Having done computer troubleshooting in the past I know that sometimes it's the little things that get missed are really the problem.
That being said, yes my plan allows teathering. I have used other devices on this plans to hotspot either wireless or USB teathers.
Nope I'm not over my high speed limit. I have used 6880 mb of my allotted 10 gb of high speed data.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, running out of ideas here.:-\ It might ultimately be a hardware or firmware issue. How new is the phone? Is it still under warranty? If so, contact LG and see if it merits warranty repair/replacement (or if it's really new, bring it back to the store and ask for an exchange).

Also, try booting into Safe Mode and see if it works then: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-26757

iam144

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
WOW! Like I said, it's probably the small overlooked thing that solves the problem.
As you suggested, I booted into Safe Mode and was able to use by tablet to connect the phone's hotspot and get to the internet. I then rebooted into normal mode and was successful there also.
Thanks for your help!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Great! But this still implies that some 3rd party app you installed started the problem, and it might happen again in normal mode at some point. If it does happen again, you might have to start uninstalling apps one by one until the problem goes away. But hopefully it won't happen again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc