Android chrome pdf downloaded, but not opening up in browser

natetc

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
So when I download a PDF off any website it will save into my downloads folder. Once completed usually it will open up in chrome automatically. A few months back it no longer does this, i know need to go into my downloads and open it up manually. Any ideas? I've downloaded Adobe acrobat and google pdf and all have the same result.

Thanks in advance.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
When you say "all have the same result"... what does that mean? Does it mean that when you try to open a pdf, Chrome launches and doesn't open it up? Is Chrome set as the default application for pdf files? If it is, disable Chrome in default applications so your phone will ask you again what app it should use to open pdf files.

natetc

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site
Nahoku - Looked up a few things. Deleted Google pdf and installed Adobe acrobat again. Changed default program to acrobat and then attempted to open up files in chrome again.

Instead of the pdf downloading and closing upon opening, the message I now receive is:

"This file could not be accessed. Check the location or network and try again".

Checked acrobat app settings and permissions are granted. The file location is in my download folder which dolphin browser has no problem accessing via acrobat. Just don't understand why chrome doesn't work.

Last edited:

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I rarely use Chrome, but from what I remember it doesn't natively open PDF files in the browser. Perhaps at one time it might have had a pdf engine in the app, but It might be it got removed. Perhaps that's why they went with the Google PDF viewer.

With Dolphin on my tablet, it doesn't directly open up PDFs either, but rather throws up a notification that the download has completed and I when I click on the notification, it asks what app I want to open the downloaded file with (I haven't set a default). If I choose Foxit, the pdf file opens up, and when I click the back button, I get returned to the Dophin browser. I'm not sure if this is also what you see when using acrobat.

Sorry, I'm not going to be much help to you because like I said, I don't use Chrome. I'll do some reading but not sure what'll turn up.

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I haven't found any android browser that displays PDF natively. Even Firefox which opens PDF's in my Windows laptop will not do it using the Android version of Firefox on my Samsung tablet.