How to Stop Android From Opening Arbitrary Apps and Taking Arbitrary Actions?

Father Tech

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
When I carry my phone in my pocket [Moto X 1st gen w/Android 5.1] or if I pick it up from my desk or sometimes if I just touch it, the phone often opens an arbitrary app and takes some arbitrary action in the app. How can I prevent this from happening?

HolySmokeJr

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Suffering same problem now that you have reminded me. Annoying, huh? Anybody else? Hey Android, you know about this stuff, how about some fixes!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
When I carry my phone in my pocket [Moto X 1st gen w/Android 5.1] or if I pick it up from my desk or sometimes if I just touch it, the phone often opens an arbitrary app and takes some arbitrary action in the app. How can I prevent this from happening?

Suffering same problem now that you have reminded me. Annoying, huh? Anybody else? Hey Android, you know about this stuff, how about some fixes!
What apps are opening automatically for you two? It could be notifications showing up on the home screen that are being activated.

Father Tech

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
What apps are opening automatically for you two? It could be notifications showing up on the home screen that are being activated.

If only! The apps that open are usually on my home screen. Examples:

Google Keep opens to a random note.
Google Maps opens and shows me restaurants near my location.
Google Play Newstand opens to an arbitrary news article.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If only! The apps that open are usually on my home screen. Examples:

Google Keep opens to a random note.
Google Maps opens and shows me restaurants near my location.
Google Play Newstand opens to an arbitrary news article.
Do you have the device password protected? That should help with this issue.

Father Tech

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Yes - my phone is password protected.

When this first started happening I thought that my screen was being rubbed by the movement of my pocket, which lead me to log off before putting my phone in my pocket. Now my phone doesn't care whether it's been logged off. It just goes and does what it wants.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a screen protector or a case? If either of these are not fitting well, they might be causing ghost touches.