Best good quality Android to start with?

dicapria

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
I've always had an iphone, but mine finally bit the dust.
I've very against the iphone7 lack of a headphone jack and I feel like it'd be nice to switch it up to an android anyways to have more freedom.
I've done a bunch of research already, but it's been driving me nuts... I'd rather just ask someone, so here i am...
What android phone would you recommend?
I'm pretty simple... all i need is
1: an excellent camera
2: something that's not going to lag over time
3: won't be totally frustrating of a switch after only using ios.
4: and can be dropped (i'll get a good case, but i tend to drop things)
other than that, it'd be great if things can be encrypted (not sure if that's an app i need to get) and not get viruses (do phones get viruses?)

I was looking at the pixel vs. the galaxy s7 because those seem like they have the best cameras and are the fastest.

that's it.. thank youuuuu

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I've very against the iphone7 lack of a headphone jack and I feel like it'd be nice to switch it up to an android anyways to have more freedom.
I've done a bunch of research already, but it's been driving me nuts... I'd rather just ask someone, so here i am...
other than that, it'd be great if things can be encrypted (not sure if that's an app i need to get) and not get viruses (do phones get viruses?)

I was looking at the pixel vs. the galaxy s7 because those seem like they have the best cameras and are the fastest.

I'm looking also. The Huawei Mate 9 & P10 are the two that I have my eyes on. Their os used to be a sore spot, but they've improved a lot in that area. There's also the LG G6 if you don't mind the processor being slightly dated.

I wouldn't touch the S7 because the S8 should be coming out in the near future. Also while the S7 & the Pixel each have a great rear camera, they don't have dual rear cameras.

Inevitably, the Mobile World Congress is two weeks away so do yourself a favor & see what's the reaction to the P10, G6 & some of the other releases. Plus you'll get a better idea of when the S8 will be coming out. I've been patiently waiting for the MWC so feel free to check back w/ me if you'd like.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

Good questions! My best friend just decided to make the jump from iOS to Android. I recommend the s7 to him and he decided to get the edge for the bigger screen.
The galaxy s7 and s7 edge are really good choices. I myself had the s7 edge and it was one of the best phones I've ever had. It's fast, it's fluid and has a great camera! Some may say they get slow or stutter over time but I've been lucky enough to never have that problem.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't rule out the LG V20 either. The camera is a bit of a stickler, though. What kind of use do you want from it? If you're one that just wants to tap and shoot in auto mode, then admittedly the camera app isn't the greatest on the V20. If you're one that likes to tweak manual controls (which are very easy to get the hang of), then the V20 camera is phenomenal. Go check out the photos thread in the V20 forum for some other examples, but here's a little taste of what I've done on mine.

"Fire" unedited
c05f22988c44aacf40fab37b33143ad4.jpg

Real fire, also unedited except for being cropped.
a6a5c996ebe5210cb728354b6ca42d23.jpg

Yes, even this is unedited
b96d534a01abb0b50fe073684c2f6125.jpg

Testing rear curtain sync flash, something I've yet to see in any other phone app, including third party apps. Again, unedited and using only the phone to take the shot.
7bc0634ba9056a002e737be94b6a69ac.jpg

(Can you tell I like using light in my shots? Lol)

So there's that, and hopefully it gave you something useful to consider. The V20 also hasn't lagged for most people. Sure, there's the random glitches here and there like on any phone, but nothing wide spread. Modern flagship phones are rather powerful and lag is rarely an issue. If you move down into older mid-range and especially budget phones, then you'll start having lag issues due to hardware limitations.

Sorry I can really comment on switching from iOS.

The V20 is advertised as being designed to military spec drop ratings. I personally think this is a marketing gimmick because the phone hasn't actually passed any of the certification tests that I'm aware of. It's like if a car manufacturer claimed a new model was designed to meet crash test standards but never actually tested the design to be sure. That said, the V20 has had some rather interesting abuse tests on YouTube and of course the accidental drop stories on here from users. From that aspect, the V20 does seem to be holding up well to those.

Stalonage

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Don't rule out the LG V20 either. The camera is a bit of a stickler, though. What kind of use do you want from it? If you're one that just wants to tap and shoot in auto mode, then admittedly the camera app isn't the greatest on the V20. If you're one that likes to tweak manual controls (which are very easy to get the hang of), then the V20 camera is phenomenal. Go check out the photos thread in the V20 forum for some other examples, but here's a little taste of what I've done on mine.

"Fire" unedited
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170215/c05f22988c44aacf40fab37b33143ad4.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170215/a6a5c996ebe5210cb728354b6ca42d23.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170215/b96d534a01abb0b50fe073684c2f6125.jpg

Testing rear curtain sync flash, something I've yet to see in any other phone app, including third party apps. Again, unedited and using only the phone to take the shot.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170215/7bc0634ba9056a002e737be94b6a69ac.jpg

So there's that, and hopefully it gave you something useful to consider. The V20 also hasn't lagged for most people. Sure, there's the random glitches here and there like on any phone, but nothing wide spread. Modern flagship phones are rather powerful and lag is rarely an issue. If you move down into older mid-range and especially budget phones, then you'll start having lag issues due to hardware limitations.

The V20 is advertised as being designed to military spec drop ratings. I personally think this is a marketing gimmick because the phone hasn't actually passed any of the certification tests that I'm aware of. It's like if a car manufacturer claimed a new model was designed to meet crash test standards but never actually tested the design to be sure. That said, the V20 has had some rather interesting abuse tests on YouTube and of course the accidental drop stories on here from users. From that aspect, the V20 does seem to be holding up well to those.

Good suggestion! I forget about that phone 😅. Those are some nice shots !

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site

"Fire" unedited
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170215/c05f22988c44aacf40fab37b33143ad4.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170215/a6a5c996ebe5210cb728354b6ca42d23.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170215/b96d534a01abb0b50fe073684c2f6125.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170215/7bc0634ba9056a002e737be94b6a69ac.jpg

I love your second picture. How did you do that??

I also don't understand how that third one is unedited but your name is there?

Really find that 2nd pic amazing!

Imho I really think the Mate 9 might be a little better for photography, V20 is def better for video but what you where able to produce has really opened my eyes.

Great job!! Keep it up! :D

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I love your second picture. How did you do that??

I also don't understand how that third one is unedited but your name is there?

Really find that 2nd pic amazing!

Imho I really think the Mate 9 might be a little better for photography, V20 is def better for video but what you where able to produce has really opened my eyes.

Great job!! Keep it up! :D

The first picture was a 30" long exposure while I waved a red electroluminescent light wire around.

The second was a 1" (handheld, at that!) exposure of my grill one night. Here's the full shot.

79be70ea74f7cbca1dd6654df3d763c1.jpg

The third with my name was a 20" exposure while I used a button activated LED light to write my name mirrored in the air since you have to face the camera to do this. You don't see me in this and my light wire fire because I was moving so fast and wearing dark clothing that the sensor didn't pick up enough reflected light off me to be noticeable.

Jonny J771

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site

I have the S7 Edge. I took these photos of the moon the other night.
I wasn't sure of the outcome, but they turned out rather well for a smartphone...

1924f9000ee5a8fee324cbadb77d1f8c.jpg

3de826e7de4e520948d5c74f7c4dcd12.jpg

The first image has the contrail of a plane going across it.

For a smartphone, the camera is very well set up.
I have a few times where my S7E has stuttered, but that's easily cleared up with a powercycle.
This device is able to be submerged up to 6 feet (if I recall depth correctly) for up to 30 minutes. Coupled with an Otterbox, this is one strong phone.

Now I agree, you can wait until the S8 or the Note 8 comes out. But, if you cannot wait, this is the best device to invest in.
When Nougat is fully released, this should/will be upgraded to it.

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
The first picture was a 30" long exposure while I waved a red electroluminescent light wire around.

The second was a 1" (handheld, at that!) exposure of my grill one night. Here's the full shot.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170215/79be70ea74f7cbca1dd6654df3d763c1.jpg

The third with my name was a 20" exposure while I used a button activated LED light to write my name mirrored in the air since you have to face the camera to do this. You don't see me in this and my light wire fire because I was moving so fast and wearing dark clothing that the sensor didn't pick up enough reflected light off me to be noticeable.

That's really creative in regards to how you wrote your name in the third. You were moving so fast & you had dark clothes so the sensor didn't catch you... Interesting.

I'm really excited to work with exposure shots in the future. I like the Mate 9 but I'd like to see what comes out at MWC. I have my eye on the Huawei P10, maybe even the LG G6.

Do you spin records? I saw your avatar.

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you spin records? I saw your avatar.

I dabbled in mixing on my laptop, but never got around to buying actual equipment for it. I then moved into VJ'ing some, even working the lights and projections at a couple of small events. That's where I'd go if I actually got back into club/dance work.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
OP post doesn't state size preference. If a smaller phone is desired, the options in Android world are less.
Pixel and S7 are good choices. For a cheaper option, Honor 8 is decent as well.
For larger phones - S7edge, V20, Mate 9 are good choices. For a cheaper option OP3T is decent.

However, there should be a decent crop of new Android devices announced soon so might not be a bad idea to wait.

If waiting is difficult and budget is tight a used S7 from Swappa or a new Honor 8 are great bargains under $300.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
I have Mate 9 and impressed beyond words.

Similar in size & weight to iPhone 6S Plus but screen while flat is wider and taller. Fast reliable fingerprint on back.

iPhone 8 will likely correct the lack of audio plug and include wireless charging.

If $599US is in your budget, Mate 9 from Huawei. I tried the S7 and BB DTEK60 and came away disappointed. Nice but no dice.

Hammerpgh

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
Interesting thread and some great posts and pictures. I'm soon to be at the end of my contact so will be looking to move from my S6 to something else. My wife has the S7 Edge which is brilliant so am tempted by that but the Pixel also really grabs my attention. But I'll certainly look into these others mentioned here and will keep my eyes on this thread for further advice :)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the world of Android, new enthusiast!

If you're just stepping into things and don't want to spend a lot of money, I highly recommend the OnePlus 3T - a "midrange" phone (i.e., some or many of its specs, hardware, software, etc are comparable to a flagship device, but at a fraction of the cost); or the Honor 8 (which I have and love!). From what I've heard, the OnePlus' camera is good, and if you slap a good case on it, it will be more protected against drops.

The Honor 8 has two rear cameras that, combined, take a more precise shot. It's made of glass (Honor puts layers upon layers of glass on their front and back glass panels - it's a lot, but I forget how many); so I would recommend a good case for it.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to let us know!

dicapria

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
Thank you everyone for all the suggestions! I'll keep doing my research and look up the ones mentioned.
So far, I've narrowed it down to:
The Pixel
Galaxy S7
Huawei
and I'll look up the One Plus and the LG V20 too.

Honestly, have been leaning towards the Pixel... I figure I might just splurge and make it a good investment and see how it goes(I feel like i'll want to keep updating with the same type of phone, so feel like this may be a good start, but still going to do a bit more research on the ones mentioned to be sure). I think i'm not worried about the switch from ios to android now and i'll just slap a good case on whatever i get, so now mainly just looking for something that is really fast and won't lag over time and has an excellent camera(for work purposes, not just fun purposes). (so supposedly the pixel fits both those check points) .

p.s. - those are amazing light pictures. (I make Light Installation art so that's a super plus for me.
home - if you wanna check it out.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I've done a bunch of research already, but it's been driving me nuts... I'd rather just ask someone, so here i am..

Welcome to AndroidCentral dicapria :D

Buying your first Android device is always hard because there are thousands of brands out there haha ^_^ If you are a first time buyer, i would say stick to the more 'popular' brands. Naturally Samsung, Google, Huawei all come to mind and then narrow your choices from there to specific screen size and budget range.

You mentioned you often drop things, so i would recommend the Samsung Galaxy S7 Active. It's fairly rugged, doesn't require a case and is built to last. However, you could always get the 'standard' S7 and just put a nice case on it :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Today the Pixel, Pixel XL, S7 and S7 Edge are the only viable options, in two months the S8 might be on that list.

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd go for the ZTE Axon 7. Has Nougat now.

I'm LOVING this phone. Amazing battery life, front facing awesome stereo speakers w/ Dolby Atmos. 4GB memory, 64GB storage, fingerprint scanner, Gorilla Glass 4. Solidly built metal body. SD card, now Google Daydream compatible, 2 year full warranty, even for accidental drops etc. really one of the best phones I've owned. (owned everything thing from iphones, Galaxy line of phones, Asus Zenfone 2 etc.)

$400

https://www.zteusa.com/axon-7

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I dabbled in mixing on my laptop, but never got around to buying actual equipment for it. I then moved into VJ'ing some, even working the lights and projections at a couple of small events. That's where I'd go if I actually got back into club/dance work.

Pretty cool :) Spinning vinyl used to be my thing, but I dable more in production/composing & lyricism. I've taken some time off too, but plan to get back into it. In general all around artist here, that does other stuff too

Forgot to write best of luck to you w/ whatever you do from an artistic standpoint!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle