Gallery Broken Link

steelhand69

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I deleted some pictures from the phone via the PC when hooked up in Mass Storage mode and now when go to gallery have a bunch of defualt pic icons and when click says cannot be found, like it thinks it is still there but it is not and I cannot get rid of the icons.
I tried deleting the content of the thumnail folder and have the phone rebuild them, but that did not work. Any ideas?

Thanks

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
What kind of phone/rooted and if so what rom?
I would dismount the card>remove card>, then clearing data while the card is out to do that go Menu>settings>Manage applications>select the all tab if on android2.2 then scroll to gallery and clear data then reboot. Unless of course you have to remove the batt to get to the card then I would put the batt back in then boot up and clear data, then shut down install card and batt, then boot again.

Reactions: steelhand69

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I think it might be easier, to rename some images, copy them back to the SD card where they were originally deleted (matching file names of course) then delete them through the gallery app.

A wild guess, but I'll say android has a directory listing elsewhere, which is protected. Without root access, and a good file manager, you won't be able to get to it.

Reactions: steelhand69

steelhand69

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I think it might be easier, to rename some images, copy them back to the SD card where they were originally deleted (matching file names of course) then delete them through the gallery app.

A wild guess, but I'll say android has a directory listing elsewhere, which is protected. Without root access, and a good file manager, you won't be able to get to it.
Thanks will try that. Will take some time with 36 of them and those long system generated numbers as names file, but may be the only way to do it.

steelhand69

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site

Unfortunately, that did not work either. I tried a few and does not work, still have empty default icons that point nowhere listed under the "camera roll" in the gallery.

Any other thoughts?

rocketry876

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Not saying this will work but i would try backing up the SD card contents on the computer. Then, try to remove whatever blank thumbnails you can see while your on the computer. If you cant remove them, copy the good pics and put them somewhere. Without the sd card back in the phone go to gallery and see if you can see anything there. you should get some message to the effect of "No sd card inserted". then put the sd card back in phone and Format the card. get the sd card back as a drive on the computer (you shouldnt see anything inside the card except maybe a few system files) and copy and paste what you backed up on the clean sd card. If you had to copy the good pics and put them somewhere put those only, not the broken thumbnails. Do NOT attempt to put the broken ones back on the clean sd card. when you put the sd card back in it should work.
If it does not work, I would email Motorola and ask them. Otherwise, as Shawnmaloney said, you will need root access to get to those files.