1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Default Help! How to save contacts saved to phone to google?

hello
    my first post here
    i have a galaxy s 2.2
    new to android so i was entering contacts and saving to phone
    but my friend just showed me how to connect so it saves to google instead

is there a quick way to save all my previously entered phone-saved contacts to google? or do i have to re-enter one by one?

thanks in advance for your time!

a
    Troubleshooter

ROM
    Jiffy Pop Roots 3.47.114

Google Sync........
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

hmm not sure i understand how that works. the contacts are already on my android phone, but just were not saving to google, just to the phone... sorry i'm still a bit "android-dumb"

Global Posts
    286 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hallmonitor View Post
    hmm not sure i understand how that works. the contacts are already on my android phone, but just were not saving to google, just to the phone... sorry i'm still a bit "android-dumb"
    Basically it should be doing that already. Go into Settings, "accounts and sync" or similar, make sure you haven't turned automatic sync off. Also try "sync now".
    Smarty Pants

ROM
    Stock

@hallmonitor, by saving to google you wont have to save to the phone anymore. But if you do not plan on staying with an android based phone in the future you may want to conrtinue to save to the phone as well.
    Im T rop per and I approve this message
    Thanks for watching = T

what phone were you previously using before? does it give you the option to save your contacts to the SIM card? cuz if so, then that would be the most convenient way first before even considering Google sync. if you can transfer your contacts through your sim card, then you can sync it to your Google account afterwards. then you'll always have the remote backup of your contacts through your Google account.
    ..miz melly jelly™.. <- click to follow on Twitter
    Carrier: Rogers
    Device: HTC Inspire 4G

Default Here's Your Answer

Open your contacts (perhaps from the dialpad or perhaps from contacts folder or perhaps from contacts shortcut).

Then select menu>import/export>export to sd. At this point, depending on your rom, you will either have the option to export either all your contacts or either just your phone contacts or just your google contacts.

I recommend only exporting your phone contacts if you have that option, but if not just export all your contacts. Then immediately reimport from sd and at this point you should have the option to import to google contacts. That's it!

I think if you then navigate to gmail on a desktop, their is a quick way to merge all your duplicates. Also, sense roms have a system for merging duplicates on your phone. That is a little tedious but is way easier than copying your contacts by hand and only has to be done once.

Obviously in the future you never want to save contacts to just your phone. I hope this helps.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Help! How to save contacts saved to phone to google?

This process worked for me. Very helpful!

Default Re: Help! How to save contacts saved to phone to google?

I did this on my S3 and now I have 200 duplicates. How do I save a new contact right to Google and not my phone? I don't want to import and export every new contact obviously.
    Last edited by johnny340; 11-12-2012 at 03:29 PM.
    Thanked by:
    rwadef