Google chrome search engine

Rvrstr12

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I already know how to select my default search engine via Chrome settings (on my laptop). That way, when I highlight and right click text, I can select "search on google." I used to have the same option for Amazon- highlight, "search Amazon." The Amazon option has since disappeared, although I can change my default search engine to Amazon instead of Google. Is there a way to regain the capability of having both Google & Amazon search engines available when I right click the highlighted text?

Also, a secondary and less important issue:
I currently have McAfee antivirus software. I'm pretty sure it randomly changes my default search engine (on Chrome) to "secure search" (which is apparently Yahoo). It does that even after I've removed/deleted all search engines except for the few I use. I'm not sure what triggers that change, but is there a way to truly prevent it so that I'm not forced to repeatedly edit my settings?

TIA.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you asking only about desktop Chrome, or also mobile Chrome?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Both of those issues might be related to extensions or toolbars. The ability to highlight text and then search using Amazon sounds like some feature added on by something like an Amazon toolbar/extension. And the Secure Search is probably related to a McAfee toolbar/extension. Go to Settings>More Tools>Extensions and see what's been installed. You can always disable an extension by unchecking it, but most of these toolbars are completely useless, so I'd get rid of them completely by clicking the garbage can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes