Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Default Applications just go away!!!

Ok so I admit I am a newbie, coming over to the Incredible after 3 years as a blackberry tour and then bold user. I have been looking around for the past couple of days on the forum, reading the beginner tips and tricks, apps to have, etc. I know that the pre installed apps stay on the phone unless you root. (which sucks) I understand you can't hide the apps you don't use. My question is how do the apps keep running even though I have 1) killed them with my advances task killer and 2) and also click force stop by going through settings->applications->manage applications-> clicking the app and then force stop.

The ones I have the most trouble with is cityid, skype, vcast apps, amazonmp3, Peep and a couple others. Does anyone know the cause of these apps to begin running even after killing them or making a force stop. I can literally kill an app click task killer 5 min later and half of the same list is back. Thank you for your time and help.

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

The apps restart automatically. As useless as they are, someone decided they needed to be running all the time, so they restart when killed.

Tip: Don't bother with the task killer. If anything, it's just hurting.

ROM
    EEO3 Gingerrrrrr

I could be wrong, but it could be possible that the apps you want to kill could be apps that are affected by the background data setting or auto sync setting.

Go to menu--> settings--> accounts and sync to turn the settings off and see if it still happens
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Thanks ls377. So is it better to just check every once in a while through the manage applications and force stop what is running? I haven't really had a problem with my battery yet, but i know it will only be a matter of time. Overall I am enjoying this phone way more than a BB.

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Quote Originally Posted by eclane78 View Post
    Thanks ls377. So is it better to just check every once in a while through the manage applications and force stop what is running? I haven't really had a problem with my battery yet, but i know it will only be a matter of time. Overall I am enjoying this phone way more than a BB.
    You don't need to force stop anything unless it freezes up or is clogging up the system. Unless something like that happens, the occasional reboot is enough to keep it running well.

Quote Originally Posted by eclane78 View Post
    Ok so I admit I am a newbie, coming over to the Incredible after 3 years as a blackberry tour and then bold user. I have been looking around for the past couple of days on the forum, reading the beginner tips and tricks, apps to have, etc. I know that the pre installed apps stay on the phone unless you root. (which sucks) I understand you can't hide the apps you don't use. My question is how do the apps keep running even though I have 1) killed them with my advances task killer and 2) and also click force stop by going through settings->applications->manage applications-> clicking the app and then force stop.

The ones I have the most trouble with is cityid, skype, vcast apps, amazonmp3, Peep and a couple others. Does anyone know the cause of these apps to begin running even after killing them or making a force stop. I can literally kill an app click task killer 5 min later and half of the same list is back. Thank you for your time and help.
    Welcome to Android and Android Central! Hope you're enjoying your Incredible thus far. You can hide apps without rooting with an alternative launcher if that interests you. I know Launcher Pro will do that, ADW might. It won't uninstall them, but will keep them hidden from your app drawer.

Global Posts
    2,516 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

In addition to what was already said, I recommend removing the task killer. A lot of people new to Android worry about what is running in the background. Android handles it's memory very efficiently.

So remove ATK and just enjoy the phone.