Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy video on android wont work in gmail

hello, recently i made a small video using my droid incredible (not rooted,2.2) with the video program that was in the phone originally. the video and audio play on the phone correctly, but when i send it to a gmail account it wont play the audio, but it does play the video. i have tried playing it on a gmail account via a phone and through a gmail account on a pc. any idea what could be the cause of this. i have tried in the past to do this and have never been able to resolve the problem. the video type is 3gpp. thank you
    Troubleshooter

ROM
    Jiffy Pop Roots 3.47.114

More than likely, it's a proprietary video codec that is on your phone that developed the video. This is why certain devices like other phones and computers have problems displaying or producing audio.

I would suggest, if you can, to save in mpg4 or standard avi format, as it is more common with PC's and other devices.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I have tried that as well. There are three options in the phone for coding. I have tried all of them without any luck at all. What makes no sense is that the video will play through a yahoo mail account without a problem. The phones OS is made by google as is gmail, why doesnt it function smoothly1

The phone OS and the email app/account are irrelevant. You need to have the proper codec(s) on the machine performing the playback.

Quote Originally Posted by aldous View Post
    What makes no sense is that the video will play through a yahoo mail account without a problem.
    Just to verify, the Yahoo versus gmail test was performed on the exact same machine?

Quote Originally Posted by Moscow Desire View Post
    I would suggest, if you can, to save in mpg4 or standard avi format, as it is more common with PC's and other devices.
    You still have to deal with codecs with AVI's. AVI is just a wrapper format. An AVI can contain any of a number of possible codecs.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

yes the gmail and yahoo mail tests were performed on the same machine. i have sent the video to 3 of my friends with android phones (all differant phones) and none of them get the audio to play either. I have sent the video to myself via my android (htc incredible)(also the phone the video was recorded on) and i cant get it to play correctly on my phone when i open through the gmail client. if i send it to my yahoo mail from my phone, and open it through yahoo on my phone it works correctly. i have tried the above mentioned with the 3 differant recording formats in my phone with the exact same outcome everytime..

Default Re: video on android wont work in gmail

i cant send videos on gmail as it says cant send over 25mb ive tryed cutting the video down but nothing can any1 help plz x

Welcome to Android Central! The easiest way to share a large video is to upload it to your Google+ account and share it with your friend from there.

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! The easiest way to share a large video is to upload it to your Google+ account and share it with your friend from there.
    Still easier and faster is to send a (large) video using the free IM app 'Telegram'. Telegram can handle videos up to 1 Gigabyte. Most other IM apps are limited to sending videos of max. 90 seconds or 10 MB, whichever comes first...

Of course you send/receive videos and hi-res photos only while you're on WiFi, because if you do that via mobile networks it's not only the slowest way possible, it's also going to eat up your monthly dataplan real fast!